Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joannemb

Globemaster allium sprouting!

joannemb
14 years ago

I'm so excited to see this--- it's the first time I've planted them, and I planted quite a bunch (about 30.) Should I fertilize them now that they have sprouted? If so, with what? Thanks so much

On a separate note, how often should I be watering my tulips that are now about 1/2 foot high? Should I just always check the soil and make sure it is not dry? When they are in the ground I usually just leave them alone, but these are in containers (just moved them outside as it is int he 50's here in Cleveland.)

Comments (8)

• keriann_lakegeneva
    14 years ago

I have grown allium for a few years now and I do not fertilize them at all and they have done great for me. Because they are a bulb, I would fertilize them in the summer/fall when they are recharging for next year if you 'need' to fertilize.

Tulips in your pots..... I would keep them moist. They stay pretty moist in the ground in Spring, so I would mimic mother nature's pattern. Hopefully it is well draining soil in your pots as well

Keriann~

Woo-Hoo SPRING!!

• joannemb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Keriann. I will leave them be! I did use well draining soil in the tulips (and put broken pieces of pots at the bottom.) The more shallow planted bulbs are coming right up and greening up nicely. I planted 2 in deep ceramic pots, and only 2 sprouts are coming up... none have sprouted in the other. I'm wondering if those did indeed rot out. I'm beginning to think that the key to this overwintering is shallow containers. I saw that on an ehow video last year---she said she plants her tulips only about 3-4 inches down so they don't rot. Maybe there's something to that...

• joannemb
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hmmm.... I planted five groupings of 5 bulbs and I have 3 rogue globemasters sprouting up! Is it actually possible they multiplied? I thought if that happened it wouldn't happen until the next season---I just planted them in October.

Well of course I'm thrilled if that is indeed the case (more bang for my buck!) BUT, I have a pretty formal design, and the allium are planted along side the columns in front. These 3 extras are out on their own and will look silly where they are. What options do I have as far as moving them? Thanks so much

• kentstar
    14 years ago

I've never had them multiply. They are sterile so they shouldn't be seeding at all. Boy, with their price, I wish they would! Gorgeous though.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    14 years ago

I planted five groupings of 5 bulbs and I have 3 rogue globemasters sprouting up! Is it actually possible they multiplied?
    If they were good sized bulbs, I'd think they could send up 2 blooms.

Per the link below..."Do not plant too closely together since they multiply rapidly. Water well throughout the growing season. "

Here is a link that might be useful: Planting Globe Master Alliums

• joannemb
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, they have definitely multiplied. I planted 30 and now I have 33.

Uh oh, I did plant closely.... Stupid question, but for normal people (not type A formal planters such as myself) wouldn't multiplying be a bonus? Why would the link suggest NOT planting closely? Being that they're so expensive....

In my case, I don't want those 3 bulbs sitting there. What should I do? If I dig them up carefully can I move them closer to the others?

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

Why would the link suggest NOT planting closely?
    Because when they multiply, they have split, and those split bulbs will grow larger and split, etc. I most things, if not given good spacing when initially planted, they will soon become crowded, and bloom less and less, making it necessary to dig and divide them.

In my case, I don't want those 3 bulbs sitting there. What should I do? If I dig them up carefully can I move them closer to the others?
    I have no experience with alliums, so hopefully an allium person will reply.

If I dig them up carefully can I move them closer to the others?
    Might that cause additional crowding to the ones that are already planted too closely? Maybe move those 3 to another area? If those are bulbs that have split, they 'should' be right next to the bulb they split off from....hmmm...I dunno...

Sue

• kentstar
    13 years ago

What I should have said is they will not come true from seed if they self sow. I've never had any of mine self sow or multiply at all. Maybe your's did self sow?

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions