Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mushy buds on tulips

Posted by chihuahua6 8b coastal SC (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 23, 09 at 9:08

I purchased two small packs of tulips from Lowes. They came in a biodegradable container which I left them in and buried in my garden. The one open flower on eac one looked fine until it was spent and I patiently waited for the smal buds to mature. Well the never did and when I checked they were mushy.

Does anyone know what could have happened? Everything else is thriving, plants, seedlings, planted bareroot perennials and corms.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mushy buds on tulips

Well, it's possible that the container (probably peat?) stayed too wet in the ground or interfered with good drainage from the potting medium and caused the bulbs to rot. On the other hand, just the change from a greenhouse environment to your garden site may have caused the buds to abort. (I think I understand you to say that these were potted, blooming bulbs when you purchased them.) My tulips were late emerging this year for some reason, and wouldn't you know, the week they began to bloom we had eighties everyday. The blooms were spent in a week. This is only one of the many problems we have with tulips in the deep south, alas.

Oh, and, by the way, you typically get only ONE bloom per bulb, so whatever bulbs in the pot were already blooming when you got them....well, you get it.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here