Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
do cut tulips and daffodils return?

Posted by njitgrad 6A/6B New Jersey (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 9:59

The mulched strip of land next to my garage is normally where I place my tomato containers. This past fall I planted tulips and daffodils so that I would have something to look at other than mulch until the summer veggie growing season starts. When the time comes to put my tomato containers in place (around May 15) my plan is to cut only those tulips that happen to be in the way of the containers and put them in vases. Should I expect those bulbs that had their stalks cut to return the following year since the ground above them will be covered by my large containers (20 gallon GeoPot grow bags actually) until early October?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: do cut tulips and daffodils return?

If you cut only the bloom stalks and leave the leaves to ripen and die then your bulbs will return. If you cut all the greenery, they may return, but not bloom. If you cut all the greens yearly, they will eventually die.

That being said, tulips in much of the country rarely return more than three years before they decline and die.

I have not done this, but it seems to me you could plant bulbs in containers which you sink into your garden area for the spring color. Then lift the containers when it's vegetable planting time and let the bulbs ripen somewhere else.

o
RE: do cut tulips and daffodils return?

I realize that in different areas, the timing of different plants may vary considerably.......but having said that, there is NO way any tulips are in bloom when it is finally safe to plant out tomatoes in my area! All that would be left around is the old foliage and would not be too hasty to remove that early.

But as Donna indicated, most tulips are not real reliable return flowerers anyway. I think here idea of planting them in containers is an excellent solution. Then you just schlepp the containers to some out of the way-out of sight location after the bloom time and before tomato planting time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here