Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
amysrq

Liquid Fertilizer? Dog eats Bulbtone :(

amysrq
13 years ago

Last Spring my dog got into the Bulbtone I sprinkled around my emerging bulbs...I guess it was the bone meal. I have a bottle of liquid bonemeal, but I figure there is a lot more in Bulbtone than just that. I'm wondering how I can fertilize my bulbs with some kind of liquid so the dogger won't get into it. Thanks!

Comments (2)

• jollyrd
    13 years ago

can you scratch it (the dry powder) into the soil and water it immediately? I doubt the dog will bother with that much trouble, and it would deliver the fertilizer to the bulb quickly

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

I would suggest not using bonemeal in any shape or form, if you have a dog.

Years ago, I planted a lot of tulips, mixing bonemeal into the soil in each planing hole. My dogs did not rest until they had dug up every newly planted tulip. I'm thinking that they would do the same exact thing with liquid bonemeal.

Likewise I had always steered clear of fish emulsion and similar products. If I used that, my dogs would probably just roll on the soil, much like they do if they come across a dead critter.

I've been told to just use a low nitrogen fertilizer (for daffodils anyway), if it can be found, otherwise just use some 10-10-10 or something similar.

Sue

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living