Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
feeding bulbs for year 2

Posted by njitgrad 6A/6B New Jersey (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 10:14

How and when does one go about feeding bulbs for year 2 and beyond since they are typically buried under between 4-8 inches of soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: feeding bulbs for year 2

Many people mix in typical slow release osmocote or bone meal when planting, but that must be worked into the soil, any water soluble bulb food fert (4-8-4 for example) moving forward will do just fine.

o

Also when bulbs get crowded (about 5 yrs. here for daffodils) and are lifted for division, new bonemeal and/or fertilizer is added.

o

In botany class, I was taught that a bulb contains all the nutrients required for the plant to bloom; and that those nutrients are replenished via the foliage and that is why they are left to dry on the plant. Was anyone else taught this? For this reason, I never fertilize bulbs and have beautiful blooms each year. Any comments?

o

I used to work in an all-purpose fertilizer when the buds showed color. But the last few years, I've been lazy and didn't add anything. I see no difference in the blooms. So I'm inclined to agree that they do not need any special attention after planting in a well-prepared bed.

o

Some of my special plantings get a nice dose of compost, most everything else has to settle for plain garden soil and seems just fine with that.

o

I am new at planting bulbs but have successfully grown butterfly gladiolas last year. I bought a lot more for this summer as they were absolutely gorgeous!! I placed the bulbs in pots and watched them grow. This summer I plan to clip them for vases. What an easy way to get great results.

If I plant crocus bulbs in a pot will they come up for this spring or next?

o

I start a lot of bulbs as seeds in pots and one thing I always do around this time of year is to add a bit of sulphate of potassium to the bulb pots - it helps the bulbs to ripen and build up growth for the following year - I only do this in years 2, 3 and 4 - never the first seedling year. A spring top dressing of potassium never goes amiss to my mind.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here