Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dagnabbit those nasty critters!!

Posted by paddlehikeva Piedmont VA_Z6b (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 16, 10 at 10:15

The snow FINALLY melted in my yard and I was devastated to see that where I once had wonderful tulips, I now have superhighway mole/vole tunnels. There is not one bulb left. I bought these bulbs years ago on a trip to The Netherlands and they have done so well for me. I have neighbors who stop to visit me each spring because they want to see the tulips up close.

Photobucket

These tulips had naturalized better than any other tulip I have planted. I have traded them on GW and if anyone I traded with have any to trade back, I would be EXTREMELY grateful.

Chopin Griegii Tulips

I need to make sure my cat spends a little more time in that part of my yard. She is a great hunter!

Kathy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dagnabbit those nasty critters!!

Sorry to hear that Kathy..... IMO voles are one of the WORST pests a gardener can have. In a bad year anything from lilac to crocus to carrots are in danger.

I wish I could help with the tulips. I'll have plenty to share come summer, but they're not as rich a red as yours are. I'll get a couple pictures when they bloom and see if there's anything you want.

Just thinking of vole damage makes my blood pressure rise. At least the rabbits leave a little nub that MIGHT have a chance of growing back... voles chew the bulb, stem, bark... and then suck out the roots from the soil like little spagetti strands. There's nothing remotely worth saving after they are through the area. grrrrrr

o
RE: Dagnabbit those nasty critters!!

Yep, those voles are the worst. My cat went on a hunt the other day, but I never saw what she was stalking. I sure hope it was a vole. There is one pitiful looking tulip that has now started to grow.

I would sure be interested in a trade, I am more interested in daff's than tulips. But I plan to dig some of both this year.

Between my dogs and the ever present hawks in my neighborhood, the rabbit population is not too bad. They did eat the leaf tips on some tulips before there were other options for them to eat. I am actually surprised that some of the other plants in that bed are doing as well as they are. Late last summer, one of the roses in the bed blew out of the ground because so many of the roots had been devoured. It is now leafing out and looks like it will survive.

Kathy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here