Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sparaxis bulbs that are NOT orange?

Posted by jacqueline3 9CA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 21, 13 at 10:17

Our climate here in No California is almost identical to where sparaxis come from in South Africa. It's called " Mediterranean" - similar to Southern France. So, I have successfully planted lots of sparaxis bulbs over the years. They are spreading, and unlike tulips or most daffodils, they actually come back every year, and increase.

My problem is that 90% of them are the most garish, bright orange you can imagine. The others vary - white, yellow, a gorgeous dark velvet red, mixed, etc. I am trying to find a source for sparaxis bulbs that are NOT orange - does anyone know of one? All of the nurseries and catalogues I have seen just sell "mixed" colors, which turn out to be mostly orange.

Jackie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sparaxis bulbs that are NOT orange?

If you collect and plant the seed from the plants with your preferred colours in June then a fair number of them should flower the following spring. Remove all the orange ones and you *should* begin to develop a strain with the colour range of your choice.

A fairly gritty mix for planting out your seeds, and sow thinly.

Is there any chance that your Sparaxis have mingled with Tritonia? Some of that species can be a fairly 'loud' orange. The bulbs are quite different, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here