Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unplanted Daffodils are Sprouting- Need Advice!

Posted by taupe79 z5 Illinois (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 5, 09 at 10:30

At a family reunion late last fall, I bought some daffodil bulbs at the silent auction... I thought it would be cool to have some of the same bulbs my great-granmother and great-aunts had. Unfortunately, I never was able to get them in the ground, so they have been in the ziploc baggie (with air holes) that I purchased them in, sitting on a bookshelf.

I looked more closely at them today, and they are sprouting green shoots! I need some advice.. should I plant them indoors in potting soil and let them do their thing? How do I keep them happy until this fall when I can plant them in the ground?

As happy as I am to see them sprouting, ultimately, having them in the ground (so that they can multiply for my future generations) is most important to me. I don't want to drain them of their energy...

Any advice is very welcome!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unplanted Daffodils are Sprouting- Need Advice!

hi, i would plant them indoors until they can go outside.keep them fertilized and in fall put them in the ground they won't flower because they didn't have a cold period but you need to build up the blubs for next years bloom ralfsmom

o

Go ahead and pot them up. Daffodils do not require chilling to bloom and whether they bloom or not they will be preserved for planting in the fall. Al

o

They may bloom if potted, or they may not. Either way they will stay alive long enough to plant them in the ground.

I would put the pots outside in the sun when the weather warms up, so they can store up some energy to make blooms next spring. When they start to wither, plant them in the ground.

You could wait til fall to plant, like Al says, but I know at my house they would get damaged, rotten or forgotten by then, lol.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here