Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
crinum care question

Posted by rebaru z5 QC (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 20, 11 at 10:46

I got a crinum bulb last spring, and it had the most amazing flowers in the summer. i brought the pot indoors - i live in zone 5, and haven't watered it since january. there are still green leaves. now that warm weather is on the way, should i cut off the leaves when i start watering it, or leave them? i hope i have treated it appropriately, because i would be sad if it didn't flower this summer! any advice? thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: crinum care question

A southern gardener could probably give better advice, but I'd leave the leaves on. I think they usually hold onto leaves all winter when they are growing outdoors in warmer zones.

I saw a combo pack of un-named amaryllis and crinium bulbs at one of the warehouse stores.... I was very tempted by the bulk pricing but then remembered my 2011-no-more-amaryllis-purchases rule. hmmmmmm.

o
RE: crinum care question

I have some here that stay out through the winter where our lowest temperature is about 26 degrees for three or four times a year. They keep their leaves through the winter, where the Hippeastrum do not, at least in our temperatures. Our total rainfall is in the winter so they never dry out. When the weather warms and they start growing I would feed them. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here