Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My tulips are very short! Why is that?

Posted by gamebird 6b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 19, 09 at 10:48

Last fall I planted a hundred or so tulips and this spring they've come up nicely. Three of them are blooming now and I'm sure more will in the next couple days. The flower stems are only a couple inches long, like two or three inches. I don't know much about tulips, but all the pictures I've seen show stems that are 6-8 inches long. The tulips that were growing at our last house were 6-12 inches long, depending on the tulip.

Why are mine so short now? Is it a function of the type of tulip? Or the age? Or something about the soil?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My tulips are very short! Why is that?

Did you use different types of tulips? If these bulbs were smaller, and thus had less food, their growth could be stunted.

Different varieties grow to different sizes, so that could be it.

o

These were bulk tulips from Sam's Club. The bulbs looked okay, size-wise, but I don't know a lot about tulips. Will they get bigger in future?

Is this the right time to add bulb food? I gave them all some when I planted them, in the hole with the bulbs. Would it do any good to give them more?

o

According to the link below, planting time, the temperature and moisture can all affect the tulips' height.

Tulips blooming close to ground

Sue

o

Here in zone 9 tulips need to be refrigerated, as the winter is not cold enough. Mine are put in a refrigerator the first of September and planted the first week of December. Winter is our rainy season and normally nothing is needed to be done until after the bloom. This year January was so dry that for the first time I had to water the tulip plantings before they had even come up. Every year when I dig my spent tulips I miss a few and when they bloom next year, they look just as you describe. Al

o

Early tulip varieties (which these seem to be for z6) are generally smaller than the later ones.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here