Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
m_taggart

Bulbs all the same in super saver mix

m_taggart
11 years ago

Just as the title says, I purchased a VanBloem Gardens Narcissus Trumpet Mix Super Saver last fall. On the packaging was a picture showing a wide variety of Narcissus blooms. Imagine my surprise when they bloomed this month and they were all identical! All are solid yellow flowers and quite boring compared to what I expected. Is this typical? Would you write to the company and complain if this happened to you?

Comments (8)

• flora_uk
    11 years ago

I don't know if that is a common problem but personally I find daffodils and narcissi look better planted in discrete clumps of a single variety rather than a mixture - maybe in the long run you will grow to like them that way too and class this as a happy accident. :-) But then I also have a preference for the more 'boring' daffodils and don't particularly like doubles and unorthodox colours. Another possibility is that there is indeed a mixture but they have varying flowering times so some different ones may turn up later.

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

Feel free to complain, but good luck.... I think many of the cheaper bulb blends are leftovers of whatever wasn't moving that year. There's probably a disclaimer on the package about what colors you get and not matching the picture exactly. I've had the same thing happen with mixed phlox (24 of the same mildewy white), dahlias, tulips, daffodils..... One year I got three identical bags of mixed Darwin tulips, one was mixed, one was nearly all yellow, and the third was a blend of pink and purple triump tulips, loved them all but nothing like the picture. A better company will give more info on the makeup of the blend.

• browneyedsusan_gw
    11 years ago

Different kinds of Narcissus bloom at different times, so you may have to be patient. I have the Southern mix of daffodils from White Flower Farm. They bloom in succession from January to April.

Susan

• m_taggart
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kato, there actually wasn't a disclaimer. Not much of a description at all, really, other than the package name I listed above. Browneyedsusan, they are indeed all identical. All but 2 or so (there were 32 total) are in bloom and they're solid yellow.

I ended up finding the van bloem gardens website and sent them an email using the web submission form. I received the following canned response offering me a refund. The problem is, I can't remember how much I paid for them! I did not save my receipt, which they asked me to scan and submit along with the UPC. I suppose i will just send the UPC and see how they decide to settle it. Better than nothing, eh?

• Nancy
    11 years ago

Never hurts to complain when you don't get what you expect. I bought a package of "mixed" lily bulbs on clearance from a box store. The photo showed a mixture of every type of lily-trumpets orientals, species etc. I was skeptical, but hoped to get a couple of nice ones out of it. I ended up with red & white asiatics. At least they were on clearance.

• ofionnachta
    11 years ago

Don't buy "super saver" mixes. You get what you pay for---if you want a mix, go to Van Engelen or Brent & Becky, both reliable family run high quality places.

• Donna
    11 years ago

I bought some VanZyverden tulips this fall. I believe the package called them Valentine's Day mix. The photo was scrumptious with all shades of pinks and reds. They are blooming now. Every single one is an identical red except for the single yellow bulb. I am sorry to say that it is all too common to not get what you think you are paying for when it comes to bulbs. They all look alike when they are dormant, I suppose, and are very easy to get mixed up.

• williamlittig
    11 years ago

I'd get some free bulbs from them. they will not want to give you cash but I'll bet they have some extra bulbs and you getting one color is bull

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations