Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What did I plant?

Posted by junco1102 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 31, 12 at 11:29

I feel really stupid, but what is new, right? I bought several different types of bulbs last fall from our Botanical Center, that I had never planted before. I saved all of the labels from the paper sacks, but I didn't mark exactly where each was planted. Now, I have foliage coming up, but I am not sure what some of them are. I know I had three Allium Gladiator and three Allium Globemaster, and I am assuming that is what these are, but I would appreciate it if someone could tell me which is which. I did a search online, but it is rare to actually see the foliage in picutres, they just show the blooms. Here they are:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Thanks so much.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What did I plant?

The first is globe master, the second gladiator. When the blooms open you can confirm the names....

I think I have you beat as far as doing stupid things, I wouldn't even list something this small in my stupid book!
They look great btw

o

Thanks. I am really excited to see them bloom!

o

I agree 100% with kato_b's assessment. Globe allium foliage is, at least to me, a stunningly undervalued early spring ornamental. Yes, it does die early just as the flowers open, but until then it looks wonderful in an early spring garden. The giant, glaucous foliage of 'Ambassador' has almost the presence of a small shrub. And isn't it amazing how compact the 'Globemaster' rosettes are due to its half Allium christophii heritage? The parents of these hybrids really do shine through.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here