Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Holes in crocus buds/flowers?

Posted by carolinaflowerlover 7b (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 7, 13 at 11:35

I am in zone 7b in about central NC. My crocus buds and flowers have huge holes in them. Any ideas?

-- They were originally planted fall 2011 and came up beautifully in 2012.

--They are in a full sun box.

--I made sure to not cut/remove leaves until they were good and brown.

--I did use leaf mulch this winter (but not the first one).

--I didn't fertilize until a few weeks ago (would earlier have helped)?

--Our winters are usually 40s and 50s with some 30s. It did seem wetter this past winter.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Holes in crocus buds/flowers?

Oddly enough, these are growing "wild" (not planted by me) in a different direction, and they have no holes.

o

Birds cause this by pecking at the flowers, and they're more likely to peck lighter colored flowers. I really see it with early snowdrops. All you can do if it's really a problem, is cover the flowers with a net (or grow dark purple crocuses).

o

Slugs chew the flowers of many of my bulbs.

o

Thanks! Unfortunately, both are common in my yard. I am going to try d. earth to see if that helps to kill the slugs.

o

It is too early for slugs where I live in NJ but mice will do this. The second crocus you posted was a Tommie--tommasianus--and rodents do not like them for some reason. Though I bet there are exceptions!

o

Slugs seem to be active all year round here. I hate them.

o

I ended up going for Sluggo, in case it is slugs. It would explain why the worst damage is where it is, as I remember seeing slugs in that particular box. Plus, I used leaf mulch this past winter, for the first time. I hope it isn't mice--I hate them! Unfortunately, we do get them. I have stuff out for them, though. Thx for everyone's help!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here