Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulbs that don't need to be dug up

Posted by whiteforest 6 (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 25, 12 at 11:37

What are some flowering bulbs that can stay in the ground year-round? I'm working on filling in areas with perennials (hostas, bleeding hearts, hydrangeas, daylilies, etc, etc.) and I'd like to stick in some things that will come up and flower earlier, before the other perennials take over.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulbs that don't need to be dug up

Spring bulbs like Daffodils, crocus, Chionodoxa. Also summer flowering bulbs of lilies. I think daffodils are a must and will return faithfully year after year. Tulips are lovely but not so great at returning.

A great source for those spring bulbs that you plant in the fall is scheepers. They don't have their 2012 shopping cart up yet so you can't order yet but the index is up and they are very similiar from year to year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scheepers

o

Plus - Spring - Snowdrops, aconites, scillas, puschkinia, some fritillaries, hyacinths, hyacinthoides, some corydalis, erythroniums(native), camassias (native), some anemones, species gladioli, species tulips, some irises ..... Summer - Alliums. Autumn - autumn crocus, colchicum, sternbergia, nerine ...

o

There are some reliably perennial tulips too. The greggei family(sp?), Impression tulips, and most of the multi-flowering ones. I have Toronto in the same spot, never divided, blooming well for more than ten years. I also have some unknown red-yellow-orange streaked that I bought as a newbie from one of those screaming circulars that called them Rembrandt tulips. They have been in place for twenty years and still bloom reliably.

It sounds like you will have a lovely, season-long display with those plans. Enjoy!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here