Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dmoore66_gardener

Daffodils

dmoore66_gardener
12 years ago

I need to dig up several clumps of daffodils to make a rose garden.

Can they be transplanted in another part of my garden at this time or should I just discard them and purchases new bulbs in the fall.

If so, what about fertilizing them and is 10-10-10 OK

Comments (7)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    12 years ago

If they are still blooming I would cut the blooms and enjoy them inside, then just dig them with as much soil and roots as possible and get them back in the ground as soon as possible. Don't divide or anything and I would t fertilize till late fall or early spring when they sprout.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    12 years ago

Kato would that work for tulips too? I have several I need to move and would love to do it now that they are finished blooming.

• birchhill
    12 years ago

I have a question that is somewhat related to the OP.

I have some daffodil plantings that are now too dense. I am planning to dig them up and thin out the bulbs a bit once their foliage has started to fade. Can I replant them immediately or do I have to wait until fall--the usual time for planting spring bulbs? I thought it would be less work if I could do this in one operation.

• flora_uk
    12 years ago

Yes - replant immediately. No problem.

• brit5467
    12 years ago

I have similar question. Along with regular daffys (about done), I have some with orange centers (in bloom now) and paperwhites (narcissis?) that are just starting to bloom.

Can I treat them all the same when transplanting? And for clarification, can I dig them after blooming but while foliage is still green (which is ideal situation). I ask since someone else mentioned when the foliage was fading.

And I should just dig up clumps of them, trying not to disturb the bulbs or root system...correct?

Thanks !

• Nancy
    12 years ago

If you are wanting to divide daffs to get more plants, you really should wait til the foliage starts to yellow before digging them. You can wait til fall to replant, or plant them immediately. I tend to replant them soon after digging, just because I put them aside & forget about them.
    The original poster needed to move them immediately to put in a rose garden. When you have to do this, the best way is to disturb them as little as possible, so dig in clumps as recommended above. Daffs need their foliage as long as possible to gather strength to bloom the next year. If you dig & divide before the foliage starts to fade, you may not get bloom next year. Tulips, & most bulbs, are treated this way also.

• brit5467
    12 years ago

thanks ngraham! I'll have to figure out which is best for me, then. I'm wanting to do it ASAP so I can get them in areas that won't be accessible later in the season. I have to sit on a stool to work (can't kneel) so sometimes I can't get 'into' my garden once it fills in. Your advice was very helpful!!