Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Why are my daffs a different color this year?

Posted by ffreidl (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 22, 12 at 12:20

The daffs in my front bed have always (several years)been white with an orange cup, but this year the cups are yellow. Anybody have any idea why?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Why are my daffs a different color this year?

As daffodil blooms mature, often the cup color will mature to its actual true color.

For example, Ice Follies that we are almost all familiar with is often thought to have white petals and a yellow cup. Actually as the blooms mature the cup turns white and it is registered with the Royal Horticultural Society as having white petals and a white cup.

The pics at the link below show Ice Follies blooms in different stages.

Are your daffs just now opening or have they been open for a while?

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Especially note the pic-second from the right in the top row.

o

Hi Sue,
They just opened, but I know these daffodils from years past and they've always had orange cups from beginning to end. Any other thoughts?

o

cooler temps bring out more of the reds and pinks, warmer temps will often yellow out the colors. If you are having warmer than usual temperatures it might explain the different color.

Last year we had an unusually rainy and cool daffodil season here in Pa. The colors were much brighter and longer lasting!

o

Ahh! Thanks Kato. Yes we're having much warmer than usual temps and it was a ridiculously warm winter overall. Everything bloomed weeks early.

Guess that's the answer. Thanks again for mystery solved.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here