Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crocosmia falling over last year?

Posted by llover 6a (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 12:31

I have two nice clumps of crocosmia and they seemed to not look so good last year. Seeemed to fall over. Thought maybe need to be dug and divided. I have had them for about 4-5 yrs. Do these corms seem to come to the surface after so many years like daffodils?

Ellen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crocosmia falling over last year?

Well, they are certainly not very deep. I divided mine last fall and they are up, including the two that evidently fell down into my lawn and are as big as the ones in the bed. If they were flopping, you might try using a heavier mulch around them to prop them up.

o
RE: Crocosmia falling over last year?

If you are talking about Crocosmia Montbretia, it is wildly prolific and chokes itself out very easily. I pull up as many as I can every year (simply yank them out and compost them) and still have more than enough in every subsequent year. Other cultivars are much better behaved (Solfaterre and Emily MacKenzie), and some are even downright stingy about multiplying (Lucifer).

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here