Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sharingsunshine

When to move hyacinths

sharingsunshine
13 years ago

I bought 3 plants in pots and they've bloomed and green is just about spent. When can I put these in the ground? Also when is the best time to move hyacinths since I have some under a bush that need to be placed elsewhere. Thanks so much for any info you have. I would actually prefer to dig up and keep these bulbs since we will be moving and it's one of my favorites. Is there a way to dry them out and store them to move with us?

Comments (5)

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

No need to wait for the green to go. Just plant them immediately. They should come back next year although the flowers will probably be less densely bloomed than in the pot. I quite like them - they are daintier than the first flowers. My garden is full of hyacinths from years of planting out potted bulbs.

You could probably pot up the ones you want to move 'in the green' too.

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Hyacinths, like all bulbs, are dug when the foliage has turned yellow. I wouldn't keep them out of soil longer than 4 months --- but that's a guess. I've never done it.

As Flora said, their second year will have sparser blooms on the stalk. I plant mine 3 per hole because of that. They're slow to multiply so don't get crowded.

• sharingsunshine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you so much for the replies. Now I have to decide whether to keep them or plant them since we won't be here next year to enjoy them. I always wonder if new owners will love my plants like they're used to :-)

• Donna
    13 years ago

If you're moving, I would keep them in the pot. Water them weekly and keep them in sun until their tops die back, then put the bulbs in a bag and take them with you. You can plant them at your new place next fall.

• sharingsunshine
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, donnabaskets! That sounds very practical. Can I dig up the ones in the ground that will bloom this spring and do the same thing? Just put them in a bag after they'd "died back" on the green? That would be cool to be able to have some from our place here since they're under a bush and have to be dug up.