Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greyandamy

Daffodil (Narcissus Craigford)

greyandamy
13 years ago

This is my first year growing this type, several plants have buds on them. I checked the growing info, they aren't to bloom until mid-late spring. Does anyone else experience this? My other types of daffodils are sprouting from ground, but certainly no more than that.

They are hardy, fully, then I read this type may be more frost tender. Who knows? If they are buds (and they are), and they flower, will frosts hurt them?

Amy

Comments (5)

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Frosts 'do in' open flowers ~~ well, it freezes them.

Perhaps the severity and length of the frost will determine how detrimental it is to non--open buds.

Your narcissus may be on the time schedule from where it lived last year.

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    13 years ago

According to Daffseek at the link below, Cragford is an early-mid season cultivar.

Many dazffs here are budded and a lot farther along than others. There are even a few pseudonarcissus that are in bloom now, and I have not noticed and 'real' harm to them after surviving a frost or even snow. Now if you were going to be cutting the blooms for entering into a show, some protection to blooms would likely be a good thing.

Daffodils often do not bloom on their regular 'schedule' the first spring after being planted in the fall. Though spring temps play a large part in bloom time, newly planted ones might be earlier or later their second bloom season.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Cragford

• greyandamy
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm beginning to fear this isn't what was labeled... but hope I'm wrong. The Craigford are to be about 14" high, with white blooms (orange faces).. these are 5" high, the buds are definitely fat and yellow... HMMM, we'll see...they better at least be fragrant!

Amy

• Donna
    13 years ago

I don't know what your weather is like, but we have had unseasonably warm weather for a full month or more now and the daffodils are nearly finished blooming here. The earlies and mids bloomed almost in unison and the lates are blooming now (at least a month earlier than "normal"). Weather will definitely have an affect on your bulbs. That being said, it's also true that they often bloom differently after their first spring. I have never noticed that frost or light freezes "did in" bulb blooms. That's part of their charm. They can withstand the temperature fluctations that are common this time of year. An extended period of warm weather is far more likely to shorten their bloom time than a cold snap.

• iris_gal
    13 years ago

Thanks for the correction Donna! My goof.