Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting bulbs before leaves yellow

Posted by donna447 GA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 28, 09 at 13:07

I know that it is best to wait until daffodil leaves have turned yellow to transplant. However, I have some in window boxes that have finished blooming and I'd like to move them into the yard. Since they are planted shallow it will be easy to get bulb and roots without damaging anything. Can they finish "dying back" after transplanted? Will they bloom next year?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting bulbs before leaves yellow

it will be easy to get bulb and roots without damaging anything. Can they finish "dying back" after transplanted? Will they bloom next year?
I think it would be fine to do it now. Chances are if they are disturbed very little, they won't even know they have been moved. In all likelihood, they should bloom just fine next year.

Sue

o

I moved about 300 daffodils about a month ago. I am in the process of building a potager and they were in the way. Not wanting to waste them, I broke all the rules and took a chance. I planted them into very good soil as I dug them so they weren't out of the ground for very long, but I did divide them. Once they were in the ground, I watered them very well. The tips of the foliage browned a bit, but they are all still green. Since they are looking so good, I am going to give them a sprinkle of bulb food this week. I don't have a strong expectation of them blooming next year, but if they do, great. At this point, all I want is for them to live, and I am optimistic. If you could wait 8 weeks after they bloom, you'd be virtually assured of blooms next year, but if not, you should still be able to save the bulbs.

o

I've had good luck moving green bulbs. Since I usually forget where they are after the leaves die back I always dig them early, sometimes right after the blooms fade and then just replant elsewhere.... except for tulips, I try to wait till about half the plants start to yellow a little before digging and drying and storing till fall.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here