Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Question about container bulbs

Posted by kimcoco Zone 5, Wisconsin (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 13:12

The good news is my red tulips that I planted in November are peeking through right now. :)

The bad news is I ran out of time to plant the rest of my spring blooming bulbs - muscari, hyacinth, some tulips, daffodils and crocus - some of these high quality, some local not-so-high-quality.

I stored them in my basement (low humidity) until late January. With the ground already frozen, I finally planted these in layers in planters and stored them in my uninsulated attic and watered well at planting time with an organic bulb fertilizer. MOST bulbs still looked nice quality.

Questions -

Will these still bloom?

When do I put the planters outside in the sun? Right now they are in attic at east facing window.

If feasible, when can I transplant bulbs to an outdoor location for future blooms? Ideally I'd like to get them in the ground for future seasons.

Thanks for feedback. This is my first with bulb planting as I'm sure you already figured out!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Question about container bulbs

They might still bloom, if it was cold enough in your attic. My attic is not cold enough to force most bulbs. You may have some buds come up, but then blast (abort). Bring the puts down when the sprouts are 3-5" tall.

But even if it doesn't work out, all your bulbs (except for the tulips) will settle into your outside garden and bloom for many years to come. Plant them outside after they bloom- or if they don't bloom, just plant them out in April or so. They're not too picky as long as their leaves are allowed to ripen and then yellow in the sun.

o
RE: Question about container bulbs

• Posted by kimcoco Zone 5, Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 18, 09 at 14:54

Thanks again Ladychroe

My attic is absolutely freezing in the wintertime (old house), and I believe the temp in the basement was probably closer to 50-60 degrees (where I had them stored prior to February). Some bulbs, I think it was the daffs, had short sprouts on them by the time I got around to container planting.

They are just now starting to peek through the soil in my container plantings, I can hardly wait to see them bloom and get them in their permanent locations.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here