Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
evaldas_gw

Tulip forcing in the fridge

evaldas
13 years ago

I live in Lithuania (Europe). We have very cold winters here, sometimes we get as cold as -13F (-25C), this winter it snowed at the end of November and melted just now (we still have some snow). Tulips are very popular grown outside here, but I would like to know if it's possible to force them into bloom and how to do it for example for Christmas if your only option is the refrigerator? I also have a balcony, but sometimes when it's very cold outside (like -13F) it can get as low as 14F (-10C) in the balcony, so I don't think it's a good option for tulip dormancy there...

I'm currently reading a book about tulip growing in Lithuania, it also has some information about forcing, but it's so technical, very hard to follow. It says something about the plants rooting in the temperature of 9-20C, then having to move them to 5C, then to 0-2C etc. I don't have so many options, I assume the book is written for commercial growers with special rooms, and equipment. But I want tulips in pots, because it looks "exotic", especially on Christmas.

I do have grow lights so vegetative growth in winter would be no problem...

I measured yesterday the temperature in my fridge and it was about 44.6F (7C)

What are my odds? What should be my schedule if, for example, I want tulips in pots for Christmas?

Can I just plant the bulbs into pots at the end of summer, put them in the fridge, water them sometimes, take them out in December and voila? Or it isn't this simple?

Comments (4)