Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lceh_gw

Non-blooming daffodils - now what?

lceh
18 years ago

Over the past 2-3 years fewer and fewer of my daffodils have bloomed. This year probably about 70% of them have healthy foliage, but no buds. They get plenty of sun in the winter and early spring, before the trees leaf out; thereafter they are in partial shade. I do let the foliage die back naturally every year rather then cutting or tying it up. I planted them with Bulb-Tone, but haven't really done much to fertilize them since. Is that the problem? If I fertilize them properly this season, will they return to blooming next year, or are they a lost cause, to be yanked out? And when should I fertilize? I'm willing to give them one more season, but if they don't bloom next spring they're toast!

Thanks --

Comments (11)

• janetr
    18 years ago

They are probably getting overcrowded and need to be divided.

• lceh
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hmmmm....they're only 2-3 years old, and not forming clumps yet as far as I can tell....

• laceyvail 6A, WV
    18 years ago

I'd feed them. I was able to revive a clump planted I don't know how many years ago by a previous owner of this property simply by feeding them. Bulbtone is the stuff.

• johnva
    18 years ago

I would wait for them to die back and then dig them up. I would inspect them closely for bugs, etc. They normally grow for 10 weeks after bloom so we are talking mid to late June most likely.

I had some I thought were gone, the ground around them was like cement. When I tried to dig them up I discovered they were surrounded by Oak tree roots. Some had no growth on them and had sat waiting for several years. I stored them over summer in my garage and replanted them in the fall. They all bloomed In the spring and many multplied over winter.

Replant them about 4-6 inches apart using about a teaspoon of bone meal under each one. I think you might be amazed at the results!

John Va

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    18 years ago

When through not blooming this season dig them and replant where they get year around sun. I have had the experience with a planting getting progressively more shaded as the trees grow and the Daffodils gradually stop blooming in responce. Al

• PRO
    Nell Jean
    18 years ago

Al, Do you have an opinion on this? I had some 'Minnow' daffodils planted in sun that just refused to bloom, ever. Last year in a fit of temper, I dug them 'in the green' and moved them to a shadier spot, where they promptly burst into bloom.

This year they have lovely uncrowded foliage and not a bloom in sight. 'Hawera' is blooming nearby, so are 'Thalia' and 'Jack Snipe' in no less shade. Could these be gypsy bulbs that just want to move every year? Is 'Minnow' noted for being stubborn?

Nell

• blueheron
    18 years ago

I have had this problem with the early daffodil cultivars, like February Gold. I'm going to dig up the clumps, divide them and replant and see how they do next year.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    18 years ago

Daffodils are gradually falling into the same category as Gladiolus which take over more of the garden each year. I have dug them out and left them in an out of the way place on top of the ground only to have them bloom next spring while completely out of the soil. Daffodils(King Alfred) have taken over an area about 6 by 10 feet where I did have a colorful variety of blooming plants. I will leave them as long as I can this year before digging them and hopefully finding another less in your face location. Al

• jessewo
    18 years ago

Mine are also blooming a bit less, but they are well established & I think it's time to divide. When is the best time to dig & divide?

• janetr
    18 years ago

Jesse, I'd recommend when the foliage is completely yellowed. You'll still be able to find where they are easily without disrupting their "recharging" cycle. They can be stored till fall or replanted immediately.

• soycandle
    18 years ago

I, too have daffodils that won't bloom. We've lived here for seven years. The second year they didn't bloom I dug some up but didn't see how I could divide them. Any advice? I have lots of them and would like to see them bloom at least once in this lifetime! I really have no idea how to divide these bulbs, any advice would be great.

Lynn