Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what to feed 3rd year daffodil seedlings

Posted by alexander3 6 Pennsylvania (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 26, 13 at 13:52

Hello,

A few years ago I planted some daffodil seeds, and they came up the following spring, looking like thin blades of grass, maybe a little bigger last year. This year the leaves are quite a bit wider, but still a lot smaller than those from an established bulb.

I knew going in that it takes several years to go from seed to flower, but I'm wondering if I could speed up their development with some kind of fertilizer. More specifically I'm wondering what kind of NPK composition is best for this situation? I know that typical "bulb food" is not so high in Nitrogen, but those products are surely intended for large bulbs that are already flowering. Would the requirements for a small young bulb be different? They are planted around the base of a tree, in an area that has been mulched with wood chips for a long time.

Alex

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what to feed 3rd year daffodil seedlings

I think most pros don't use too much nitrogen because it tends to produce "soft" bulbs, I don't know if this is true or not but I do think it makes for floppy disease prone leaves. I feel like compost provides more than enough fertilizer for daffodils, but if you want to add one of the bulb fertilizers, that should help the young bulbs just as much as mature bulbs.

Whatever you use make sure it's soluable enough to make it down through the soil to the roots in time for the plant to use it (for example bone meal won't help if you spread it on top of the soil right now, the roots are no where near it)

Maybe Sue will have something to add, she has been known to plant a daffodil or two.

o
RE: what to feed 3rd year daffodil seedlings

Have to wait at least 3 years for tiny daffodil bulblets/seeds to mature and flower. The time to fertilize is when they first break through the ground, or after bloom, before the greens wither and go dormant. Bulb 'food' or bone meal is fine. I don't use fertilizer on mine, they seem to grow healthy without it. At any rate, it won't make them grow faster. 'Patience weedhopper' :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here