Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Identifying bulbs

Posted by kimcoco Zone 5, Wisconsin (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 16, 09 at 13:58

Another question -

Since I have multiple bulb varieties planted in layers in a large container, is there an easy way to identify one bulb from another at transplant time? I have muscari, tulips, daffodils, hyacinth and crocus(?) in these containers.

I know the tulips were the largest bulbs, muscari were the smallest, and as far as the other bulbs I wouldn't know how to tell them apart if and when I transplant them in the garden.

Help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Identifying bulbs

I just plant the bulbs soon after they finish blooming, before the foliage yellows, so I know what they all are. They seem to like that because their leaves get a lot of sun and they are well-settled by the time spring rolls around next year.

But if you decide to wait until fall, which is the traditional bulb-planting time:

Tulip bulbs are large, distinctly teardrop-shaped and smooth under a single, one-piece tunic (papery covering). Daffodils can be different sizes, and are lightbulb-shaped, kinda ridgy, with messy, peely tunics. Muscari bulbs look like that too, but are smaller. Crocuses kind of look like shelled hazelnuts and are wider & squatter than other bulbs. Their tunics are stringy and fiberous. (They are corms, not true bulbs.) Hyacinths are large, symmetrical, pretty bulbs and have either white or purple tunics, depending on the variety.

You could also try googling images of "Hyacinth bulbs" (quotation marks included) and see if you get any pics.

o
RE: Identifying bulbs

• Posted by kimcoco Zone 5, Wisconsin (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 18, 09 at 14:29

Thanks Ladychroe - that helps a lot.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here