Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vvesper

Anyone know anything about Dixie Bulbs?

vvesper
14 years ago

I found dixiebulbs.com on the internet on a search for heirloom daffodils. I've not been able to find any vendor reviews anywhere, nor any references in the forums. One thing they are doing which I thought sounded very cool is a daffodil "rescue" program for heirloom bulbs. They are rescuing bulbs (with permission) from some old homesites where development is imminent and the bulbs are thus threatened. I ordered some (not very expensive), but I also had emailed them a question and I have not heard back in about 2 weeks now. I think they are probably a VERY small operation. Maybe my email didn't go through, but it did not bounce back to me. So I was starting to wonder if anyone else had any experience with them? Anyone?

Comments (3)

• keithf25
    14 years ago

I had not heard of them either until your post. I love the idea of having some 'historic' heirloom daffs, so I wrote them with a few questions yesterday. Lo and behold I got a response today! I have ordered some Butter & Eggs and the Southern Farm Mix. They should ship around the end of May or beginning of June. Hopefully you will hear from them soon.

• vvesper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Keith! Maybe my email just didn't go through. I will try again. I'm excited about the idea, too, especially to rescue bulbs that would otherwise be just plowed under for development projects. Plus, these are all bulbs that should increase well in the south - which many daffodils do not!

• vvesper
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wanted to give the update that I have heard back from Kris, the owner of Dixie Bulbs. She is out digging alot and has plenty of bulbs. One thing they are doing on their own property is trialing heirloom bulbs to be grown as cut flowers in the Deep South to try to create another option for agriculture in that area. Expect response to emails to sometimes be slow. I will be excited to see the bulbs themselves and how they do here...