Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to Transplant Snowdrops & Daffodils?

Posted by ZoeCat17 7 Maryland (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 20, 12 at 14:15

This is the first spring in our new (to us) house and I was pleasantly surprised last month by a clump of snowdrops that bloomed in my garden. Unfortunately, they're on the side of the house near the A/C unit and I'd like to move them to a better spot.

Now that the flowers are gone, is it safe to move them? Or should I wait until the greens are gone too? And if I wait for the greens to die back, should I also wait until fall when I'll be putting in other bulbs?

I've also got a big clump of daffodils that I'd like to move as well, but those are still in bloom.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to Transplant Snowdrops & Daffodils?

Snowdrops are traditionally recommended to be transplanted 'in the green' ie after flowering but while still leafy. However, I believe that this is now out of fashion a as recent research refutes it. But it's always worked for me and is still practised by many growers.

I've moved daffs in growth and as dormant bulbs. Can't say I've registered much difference in the small numbers I've done.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alternative view on transplanting snowdrops

o
RE: When to Transplant Snowdrops & Daffodils?

My snow drops have been next to one of my compost piles for many years. As I have used compost just about all over the garden, I have inadvertently moved snow drops just about everywhere. They seem happy where ever they turn up, and I am too. Al

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here