Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ornithogalum arabicum with floppy foiage

Posted by steve22802 7a VA (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 3, 11 at 14:21

I have several Ornithogalum arabicum bulbs in pots and while they bloom ok the foliage flops all over for me. Is this normal behavior for this plant? Does anyone else have experience growing these bulbs either in pots or in the ground? I suspect part of the problem may be that I start them out indoors (where there is less light) because they are frost sensitive and then eventually move them out on my deck to bloom in March as the weather warms. They are listed as hardy to 15 degrees F so maybe I should just go ahead and move them out to the deck sooner...? Any thoughts or experiences to share?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ornithogalum arabicum with floppy foiage

Might be a red herring...

I grow O thyrsoides and O t dubium. Dubium is frost-tender for me (as arabicum is for you).

Right now, after recent repotting, both are in active leaf growth. It's early autumn for me and the temperatures are still up into the high teens/early twenties celcius with rain coming at least weekly.

Perhaps if you were able to plant up and water in the autumn, then bring in to a south or west facing window-sill, or even under a grow-tube, you could develop and retain sturdier leaves. Not a lot sturdier - they seem to be a bit floppity, even when grown outdoors as the chincherinchee is.

o
RE: Ornithogalum arabicum with floppy foiage

Vetivert8, Thanks for sharing your experiences. I'm surprised that O. dubium is not hardy for you. According to the listings it's rated as hardy to zone 8b (-9.4C or 15F.) I'm also trying a few dubium in pots this year for the first time.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here