Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
bulb blooming schedule

Posted by trailer_gal z4 ND (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 18, 09 at 14:22

Hello
Hope someone can give me some advice on which bulbs to purchase. We would like to use spring flowers as centerpieces for a ladies retreat on April 17-18. Are any of the bulbs now for sale at the stores able to bloom at that time? Most all of them would need to have a season of winter first? Can a person buy bulbs that have already been made ready by a forcing technique to plant. Would tulips or daffodils be ready at that time? Any other flower suggestions? Thanks for any help.
Sherry

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: bulb blooming schedule

One more thought. Could I just go outside and dig up some of the daffodil and tulip bulbs I planted last fall. They are still buried under snow. Maybe by April 17 they will be too far along outside and I should put them in the refrigerator to slow them down. Or maybe I should dig them and keep them warmer and then they would be ready at the right time. Does anyone know how long it would take after I brought them in the house for them to start blooming? In North Dakota we are in zone 3/4
Sherry

o
RE: bulb blooming schedule

I'm in US Zone 4 (southern Ontario) and our narcissus/daffodils bloom in April. I have lots of different kinds so they bloom over a long period unless we get a really hot spell. Couldn't you just pick some of your own flowers and use them for centerpieces. Tulips mostly bloom in May here, but again there are early, mid-season and late ones. If you are using them as cutflowers, don't put the narcissus and tulips in the same water. Something from the narcissus poisons the water for the tulips.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here