Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
linnea56chgo5b

Has anyone had a problem with Easytogrowbulbs.com ?

Like items being sold not being as described?

I bought a lot of fancy tuberous begonias from them last year. I really wanted some fancy picotee varieties. They were nothing like the picture, though. White and pink-edged like the photo on their site, but they all had non ruffled, odd long skinny petals. Borderline ugly, really.

I ordered roseform ones too, those were okay. But the whole purpose of the order was to get the picotee type.

I ordered about 20 bulbs, and none of the picotee types were as pictured.

Cross post to Begonias (though most there deal with non-tuberous types).

Comments (8)

• steve22802
    13 years ago

I've received several orders from Easytogrowbulbs.com and I've been pleased with the quality of the bulbs. They also seem careful not to ship tender bulbs when they might freeze in transit. I haven't ordered any begonias.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I have ordered several times and have been pleased with the bulbs and the service. Have never ordered tuberous begonias from them. Did you contact them? Al

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes, I'm in the process of that now. I sent an email and pictures of one yesterday. Because they were weird looking flowers, I didn't really take many pictures, compared to what I normally take.

I saw they are highly rated on Garden Watchdog. I figured they didn't know they had a batch of odd ones. I'll post an update afterward. I looked up some of the varieties online yesterday, and saw several vendors selling the exact same types, with the same photos. So I don�t know who the breeder is.

• greyandamy
    13 years ago

I didn't think I had a problem... until just this week. Last autumn I ordered Calla Lilies they claimed were hardy to zone 6. I learned that's not true, it's zone 8. Also, I ordered a type of narcissus that is certainly NOT what's growing out there. I ordered replete (16", white, late spring bloom)... what's growing is SOME TYPE of dwarf daffodil, 5" high, with large yellow buds already..

Glad you asked this...

Amy

• Nancy
    13 years ago

Amy, calla lilies are supposed to be zone 8, & they were wrong in saying zone 6. Still, I'm zone 6 & callas return for me every year & bloom. They do need very well drained soil I think, to return well here. Maybe yours will come back. Sounds like your daffs are definitely wrong, although I believe Repletes are pink.

• chills71
    13 years ago

I've got Callas that return for me each year. The white ones do seem to be the hardier varieties. (I like Flowers and Greens, do be warned, their Alstroemerias are too tempting to pass up.

~Chills

• jlouise77
    13 years ago

When a seller works with dozens of growers from all over the world there are bound to be a few bulbs that get mislabeled or sneak into a batch of the wrong color. And there's no way for a seller be able to tell that something's amiss.

As for hardiness zone info, this often comes from the grower. (I used to be in the plant business.) So, sellers trust the growers to know best what the specifics are for the plants they're providing. If the grower says a particular variety exhitis extra hardiness, the seller believes them. After all, the grower has field experience with the plants they sell.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That's why I wanted to know if this was a regular problem. For the picotee begonias, each one of a pack of three was wrong. I do realize that they all look alike in the bulb/corm stage :) .

I have been in touch with them, and they offered to replace those, with me paying the shipping. I'll do it, and see what happens. I did shoot a few pictures of the oddballs and sent it to them.