Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
amaryllis BULBS

Posted by timbershort (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 24, 09 at 15:06

I have amaryllis bulbs. i have already dug them up to seperate them since they multiply like crazy but im not ready to replant them yet b/c i need to do some re-arranging to my flower beds, how can i save the bulbs until i am ready to replant them? any advice greatly appreciated. thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: amaryllis BULBS

Store them dry in peat or some sort of soil. this way you will keep the roots nice and healthy. You can also just store them in a bucket without anything.....they get shipped this way all around the world after all. They will have to regrow roots that way, but no big deal. Storing them in peat will make the transplant easier because they will still have nice roots. They are pretty hard to kill so no big deal :o) Dan

o

Thanks dan for the info. if i just throw them in a bucket for now with no soil will they dry up, and loose the roots? then when i replant them they will just take a little longer to re-vive themselves and grow?

o

Are these Amaryllis belladonna,commonly called"Naked Ladies",that normally bloom in August and will soon complete their foliage period? If so, it is almost impossible to kill them,however after a move it may be several years before they bloom again. Al

o

I am not sure what kind they are. i am new to flower beds. we just bought a house with flower beds already done so thats why i am starting to get into flowers. thanks for the advice.

o

timbershort you can edit your name to give an indication of your location. This would help those who wish to offer you advice. Al

o

Hi Timber,

I got your email, and decided to provide an explanation here, so others could post to it and you could also add any questions you might have.

See the thread
Different types of Amaryllis-just an explanation

I see you now have your location in your Member Page profile and are in zone 9 LA. Great...it will now show when you post the next time.

Possibly members will now have an idea of what amaryllis you might have planted on your property. There is no way of knowing for sure without seeing them bloom. Might your neighbors be able to tell you what color they might have been when they bloomed? I see you just recently purchased your home.

They could be one of several varieties of Amaryllis belladonna, or lycoris....all of the amryllis family.

Sue

o

ahhh Timber emailed me that they are in bloom and that they are red and she will try to post pics this weekend. I have a pretty good 'guess' as to what they are but will wait until I see this pics.

Sue

o

I guess I just assumed that they were Hippis since so few people refer to these by their correct name, but I should have thought maybe an actual Amaryllis......not sure why anyone would call a Lycoris an Amaryllis, but things happen!! To be honest, any of these genera can be dealt with the same way in the short term......they all get shipped bare-root all over the world routinely so I would not give it another thought......store them in some peat to be safe and replant when ready!! I agree it is always nice to know what you have though! I need to dig my Lycoris as they are just deer food out back :o) Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here