Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
timbershort

amaryllis BULBS

timbershort
15 years ago

I have amaryllis bulbs. i have already dug them up to seperate them since they multiply like crazy but im not ready to replant them yet b/c i need to do some re-arranging to my flower beds, how can i save the bulbs until i am ready to replant them? any advice greatly appreciated. thanks.

Comments (8)

• bluebonsai101
    15 years ago

Store them dry in peat or some sort of soil. this way you will keep the roots nice and healthy. You can also just store them in a bucket without anything.....they get shipped this way all around the world after all. They will have to regrow roots that way, but no big deal. Storing them in peat will make the transplant easier because they will still have nice roots. They are pretty hard to kill so no big deal :o) Dan

• timbershort
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks dan for the info. if i just throw them in a bucket for now with no soil will they dry up, and loose the roots? then when i replant them they will just take a little longer to re-vive themselves and grow?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

Are these Amaryllis belladonna,commonly called"Naked Ladies",that normally bloom in August and will soon complete their foliage period? If so, it is almost impossible to kill them,however after a move it may be several years before they bloom again. Al

• timbershort
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I am not sure what kind they are. i am new to flower beds. we just bought a house with flower beds already done so thats why i am starting to get into flowers. thanks for the advice.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

timbershort you can edit your name to give an indication of your location. This would help those who wish to offer you advice. Al

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

Hi Timber,

I got your email, and decided to provide an explanation here, so others could post to it and you could also add any questions you might have.

See the thread
    Different types of Amaryllis-just an explanation

I see you now have your location in your Member Page profile and are in zone 9 LA. Great...it will now show when you post the next time.

Possibly members will now have an idea of what amaryllis you might have planted on your property. There is no way of knowing for sure without seeing them bloom. Might your neighbors be able to tell you what color they might have been when they bloomed? I see you just recently purchased your home.

They could be one of several varieties of Amaryllis belladonna, or lycoris....all of the amryllis family.

Sue

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

ahhh Timber emailed me that they are in bloom and that they are red and she will try to post pics this weekend. I have a pretty good 'guess' as to what they are but will wait until I see this pics.

Sue

• bluebonsai101
    15 years ago

I guess I just assumed that they were Hippis since so few people refer to these by their correct name, but I should have thought maybe an actual Amaryllis......not sure why anyone would call a Lycoris an Amaryllis, but things happen!! To be honest, any of these genera can be dealt with the same way in the short term......they all get shipped bare-root all over the world routinely so I would not give it another thought......store them in some peat to be safe and replant when ready!! I agree it is always nice to know what you have though! I need to dig my Lycoris as they are just deer food out back :o) Dan

Sponsored
EA Home Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars69 Reviews
Loudoun County's Trusted Kitchen & Bath Designers | Best of Houzz