Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scottfam125

Do you fertilize your bulbs when they are finished blooming??

Just wondering when was the best time to fertilize tulips, daffs and hyacinths? I planted quite a few tulips and daffs last fall and some are blooming which got me to wondering when the best time was to fertilize to keep them blooming great year after year. Thanks, Judy

Comments (9)

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

I don't fertilise but I do mulch with home made compost a couple of times a year. I don't actually fertilise anything in the ornamental garden. I think it's unnecessary if your soil is reasonable and you make compost.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    13 years ago

I am with flora, only containers get any fertilizer here. If you don't mulch you are working too hard and your soil is losing a wonderful benefit. Al

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks. I do mulch but I don't compost. I mulch with the bagged pine bark nuggets because I like the look of mulched beds. I usually don't fertlize much except for my roses so thought I would try to fertilize my hosta, bulbs, and so on. I agree with the containers needed it much more. Judy

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

'... but I don't compost ......' aaarrrggghhh! What a confession! :) I am feeling faint at the thought. Quick, get on over to the Soil Compost and Mulch Forum and start composting immediately. That is an order! As Al says your soil is losing a wonderful benefit. And don't be put off by how complicated some of those composters make it sound. All you need is a space about four by four and some organic stuff from your kitchen and garden to pile up. Start today!

• goren
    13 years ago

Flora, while it is appreciated by most that do compost, many cant because of many reasons. Maybe mostly because they live in apartments/condos where making compost piles is against the rules.

Grrrrr....Don't put yourself up as someone who is a defender of the faith..environment...by suggesting others who cant compost, or just refuse--they don't have the time nor the wherewithall to make a compost bin.
    Perhaps someone is content with buying a small amount of commercial composted manure for any and all their planting needs.

• flora_uk
    13 years ago

goren - maybe the expression 'tongue in cheek' is foreign to you? Even an emoticon and several exclamation marks are lost on you? But never mind I know you like to stir it a bit. Enjoy your gardening. Flora.

• Prettypetals_GA_7-8
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone!! I hope everyone has a great spring!!

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    13 years ago

heh heh... dare I say it? The only fertilizer I usually use on bulbs is compost? It's true though.

But if you fertilize with another type, go for a tomato type fertilizer with a low 1st number and higher second and third. You don't want a high 1st number since that describes the percent nitrogen (which encourages lush leafy growth, which may be more susceptible to floppiness and rotting).

If your bulbs have already bloomed or are in bloom, use a liquid fertilizer or water the dry stuff in well. It needs to get down to the roots quickly while the bulbs are still in active growth.

• jolj
    13 years ago

Hi prettypetals,nice handle.
    I use bone meal, no compost or mulch(I compost for veggies).
    I have Twin Sisters, which are wild, so I treat all my bulbs that way.
    Hi flora uk, always nice to here from you.
    goren, lighten up & try verimcomposting, many apartment & condo owners use it.
    kato b, thanks for the answer.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES