Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to take pots out of the garage

Posted by junebugapril 5 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 15, 14 at 16:18

My tulips and daffs in the garage are in pots and window box liners. They are starting to peek their little leaves up out of the soil.

I am itching to bring them outside and put them on my balcony, but it may be too cold out. Day time temps are around 30-35, night time dips into the teens.

I do have an inch or two of mulch on the tops, but I don't know if that is enough protection.

Should I wait to put them out until it gets into the 40s?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to take pots out of the garage

I would wait a little longer, the lows at night are what will damage the sprouts. Once night time temperatures stay in the high twenties you should be ok, they can take some frost but I would avoid letting the soil freeze.

o
RE: When to take pots out of the garage

Sounds good, Kato. It got cold again, today. It's 24 degrees out at 6pm.

I'll be curious to find out how my "experimental" pots work out. I left a few pots of bulbs out on the balcony and covered them with a thick layer of spruce branches. I'll let you know how everything works out!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here