Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting daffodils to shade

Posted by newbiehavinfun 7a - Southern NJ (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 10, 10 at 16:26

Hi all. I need to transplant some daffodils. They were growing beneath a black walnut tree that has since been cut down (I hated to do it, but the dogs were getting sick eating the fruit) and now they are in the middle of the "grass" yard. So I have to move them before the grass gets too tall and my husband mows them over. I want to move them to the front yard that gets shade/partial sun. Are they going to die (based on your experience, I know you aren't all psychic)? Thanks!

Megan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting daffodils to shade

They need deciduous sun. Sun during late winter, up til the trees leaf out. They won't grow well, probably not bloom, in full shade.

o
RE: transplanting daffodils to shade

I want to move them to the front yard that gets shade/partial sun.

They should be fine in the sun/part shade.

A lot of mine are in the woods, but in the spring while they are putting up leaves and blooms, they are pretty well in full sun. Their 'growing' time above ground is what is most important to be in the sun.

Are they going to die (based on your experience, I know you aren't all psychic)?
No, they won't die, they are tough buggers. I'm surprised that they grew under the black walnut tree as so many things don't/won't.

chemocurl...aka Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Black Walnut Toxicity to Plants, Humans and Horses

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here