Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
transplanting wild bulbs

Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 23, 09 at 16:32

I'm a lurker from other forums; I've tried posting and although it's considered rude, I'm posting again here in the hopes of getting an answer, as time is of the essence. I have many wild cyclamen in my current garden. I am moving in June (the hottest, driest June you can imagine)and the new owners of my house will pour concrete over and wipe out my ten year old garden within weeks of moving in. I'd like to save as many wild cyclamen - and everything else - as possible, so my question is how? How to dig perfectly happy, wild cyclamen and take them with me? Those growing between cracks in cement and rock - I live on a mountain - I'll probably have to leave, but how about any accessible ones? Perfectly happy wild anemone, too, BTW. My ground is still somewhat moist from our winter rains, but in, say, three weeks, there will be no more rain till Oct. I know now is the time, but I need advice on the particulars. Many thanks.........Batya

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: transplanting wild bulbs

I would pot up as many as you can between now and then, starting now. Instead of so many individual pots, you might use something like a kitty litter pan or some disposable aluminum roasting pans if you have access to such things. I always have a bunch of the plastic tubs that patients are given at the hospital, and then take with them when they are released.

btw...you are perfectly welcome to post here anytime you want to, in my opinion so long as it is about bulbs. I don't consider it rude. You are among bulb loving friends here.

Good luck!

Sue

o

• Posted by batya Israel north 8-9-10 (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 25, 09 at 11:37

Sorry to be such a doofus, but when you say pot up, that's just digging the bulbs and putting them in dry medium until I plant them again at the end of next fall? Aren't I supposed to wait for the leaves of the muscari, anemone, cyclamen, calla and narcissus to get dry and yellow before I pull them out and store them? Most of my gardening is herbs, perennials and annuals (lobelia, daisies, pansies)etc. I've been here ten years and the wild stuff is mostly bulbs. We never frost here, and rain is a thing of the past beyond April, would I keep them in a cool cupboard, or outside during our blazing summers? Thanks.
P.S. The rudeness was double posting the same question on more than one forum. GardenWeb is the most civil bunch of folks, so forum manners count! Except on Hot Topics of course......Batya

o

Since they have leaves, by "pot up" it is meant to actually plant them in containers, and keep them watered and cared for(as much as they would usually need if they were in the ground) and let them go through their natural cycle in the pots. When the leaves die down, store them like normal bulbs.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here