Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hardy 'Amaryllis' (Hippesatrum)

Posted by bill_ri_z6b (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 2, 12 at 16:47

I've found a few sellers claiming to have "Hardy Amaryllis", actually Hippeastrum. Claims are zone 6 or zone 7, depending on which seller you choose to believe. Is anyone growing any of these in zone 6? If you are, are you protecting in any way in winter? I'd like to know about any success, or failures, with these plants. If it's true that they can grow in zone 6, I would love to plant several.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hardy 'Amaryllis' (Hippesatrum)

I had one live for a couple of years here, but then it died. I think that it didn't like the wetness of the winters, would do better in a dry climate.

o

The most cold tolerant Hippeastrum is H. johnsonii and it is supposed to be hardy in zone 6a. Other hybrids and species are hardy outdoors in zone 7b-10.
Susan

o

H. johnsonii is the one I tried here without ultimate success in SE Michigan.

o

I might try H. johnsonii then. I'm in zone 6B, although zone 7 is much close in the new USDA map than it used to be. And I have some protected spots as well. Only way to find out is to plant some and stand back! Fortunately they aren't very rare or expensive items, so an experiment will be interesting.

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here