Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bulbs aren't blooming

Posted by mouse007 6 (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 14, 09 at 16:56

I'm hoping someone may offer some advice. Last October I planted lots of tulip & daffodil bulbs in my backyard & in front of my house. I live in central NJ & have great soil for planting. It is now mid March & see no signs what-so-ever of my bulbs blooming. All my neighbors' tulips & daffodils are sprouting. I'm not sure if this is normal since it will be their first season. Could a squirrel or deer have dug them up? I noticed at Lowe's they are beginning to sell small already bloomed tulip & daffodil plants. Do you think I should try planting these since mine aren't coming up??

Please help!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bulbs aren't blooming

First year bulbs I have noticed are always later than those from the year before. It does not seem to matter if the bulbs were left in the ground or dug and stored, they will still be from two weeks to a month ahead of first year bulbs. Al

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 15, 09 at 9:21

It's only March. It's still early... especially for Tulips and Daffodils their first year. I just saw the beginnings of my crocus making their appearance... and this was only yesterday. My Tulip and Daffodil leaf tips are just beginning to peek up out of the garden soil... these are second year bulbs.

Have patience! Mother Nature works on her own time schedule!

o

The only bulbs blooming here are my winter aconites and snowdrops, and those are just starting. My daffs are showing green tips but nothing more. No tulips yet. Not even any crocus.

o

I live in central NJ too, and most of the tulips, daffs and crocus I planted last fall are not showing yet. It is way too early to worry. Next year they will be more established and sprout earlier, like your neighbors'.

Shade and cold soil temps can also delay sprouting, but they all come up eventually. Patience!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here