Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
skiwithchar

can I plant freesias now?

skiwithchar
16 years ago

My mom-in-law is coming to visit us (from England), and I just remembered that freesia is her very favorite flower. I haven't planted them before because I've been afraid of forgetting to bring them in for the winter. However, since she's coming, I'm thinking I could stick them in some pots so that they bloom in time for her to enjoy them while she's here (and then they'll be in a place where I can easily bring them in for next winter). She'll be here from Apr. 30 through July 8.

My question is: what do I need to do to make all this happen? Have I totally missed the boat, or do I have a chance to make this work? Our temps are currently around 35 in the daytime and dip a bit lower at night, but I'm hoping that changes very soon :-)

Any and all advice would be wonderful! I've searched and searched other places on this site (and others), and don't see any post that helps me with my particular dilemma.

Comments (11)

• jeannie7
    16 years ago

Freesias can be planted in the north in spring...when the soil has firmly warmed up.
    In your zone 5 that can be anywhere around mid April to ???
    This year, we have had one of the snowiest on record...I gotta think you are in the same boat unless your zone 5 is totally different.

Considering planting in mid April...freesias will bloom 10 to 12 weeks AFTER planting.....give or take.
    .....your mom might just be in time to see them before she leaves.
    You could try to force them to respond earlier....pot them up and plant them out at their best time.

The staggering of the flowering 10 - 12 weeks after planting does them proud in that color can be arranged throughout the season if planted every week or two.

There is no point in trying to rush the season by putting them into the ground earlier than you should. Cold, wet ground will only lead to rot.

You are suggested to plant them close to one another to give each support because they do tend to flop.
    You might have to give additional support.

• skiwithchar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for this help! I will give it a try! :-) Yes, we still have a bunch of snow in our yard, but possibly it might melt when it rains later this week :-)

I do have two questions from your reply:

When you say to "pot them up and plant them at their best time", does that mean plant in pots now and keep in the garage, then put them outside in mid-April? If so, how much watering/light should I try to give them, and can the light be artificial light?

Also, how close should I plant them to each other keep them from flopping?

I'm very encouraged by your info!! Thanks again!!

• skiwithchar
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you for all this detail!

Do you also know what kinds of temperature range I should keep these within? For instance, should they be warmer in the daytime and cooler at night, and if so how warm and how cool? Or should they be consistent temps, and if so, what temps are good? This will help me figure out where to place these as well as when it might be safe to put them outside, if they're still in bloom when it gets warm enough.

I really appreciate this info!

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    16 years ago

I planted freesias a few years ago in an area that became over run with daffodils and the freesias never bloomed. Last fall I dug out the daffodils and came upon the freesia bulbs which I threw into a large glazed pot and forgot about them. A couple of months ago I noticed these bulbs sprouting in the pot and did not even remember what they were. They were laying in all positions and the sprouts had them all locked together. I threw about 4 inches of compost on top of them and again forgot about them. I now have a whole pot full of blooming freesias about 12 to 18 inches tall. I guess I could be called the serendipity gardener! Al

• jardineratx
    16 years ago

I purchased freesia bulbs about 5 years ago from Lowes and expected very little from them.....blooms in the spring, never to be seen again. I was wrong! They have returned every year since and bloom beautifully and reliably. (they are blooming now) I wonder, however, if I remove the spent blooms, can I extend the blooming period, or are they once bloomers?
    Thanks,
    Molly

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    16 years ago

I only get one bloom stem from each bulb. Removing the bloomed out stem has never caused a new stem to appear. Al

• jardineratx
    16 years ago

Thanks for the info, Al....that's what I figured.
    molly

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Hello!

I'm in Zone 8, dallas tx and just purchased some freesia bulbs on sale. Will I be able to plant them now or has the time passed? Everywhere I've been reading never really tells the months in which to plant. So I'm a bit confused.

Thanks!

Ashley

• cynthianovak
    14 years ago

I planted freesias in two tall urn type plantes outdoors in January. I believe it was about mid Jan. I thought the foot of snow would kill them all. It didn't. They are coming up now. That's 2 mos to get small amount of foliage.

Ashley
    They are happiest in 50s to 70s. They can take some cold.
    Get them planted now. I would do pots so the rains don't overwhelm them. I've never been impressed with them in the ground in my Arlington TX garden.

It may be too late because of the heat here in TX...but...what have you got to lose? If you put them in pots that can come in during the scorching days that may come in late May you might just have the most fragrant house plant ever. If you don't plant them, they won't keep until next Dec or Jan.

• ashley_plant_addict
    14 years ago

Cynthia, thank you! I was thinking about planting them in a pot and then if it got too hot bringing them in. Also, I wasn't sure if they would last until next winter so thanks for warning me. Looks like I'll pot them tonight when I get home! Oh! I'm so excited now! : )

Ashley

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?