Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
late-planted bulbs

Posted by lalala 6 (Metro Boston) (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 10, 12 at 17:18

Hi all,
I received a big order of bulbs in the fall--daffodils, crocuses, muscari, and tulips. I planted about half of them right away (late October/early November) and the rest did not get around to until after Christmas. They were stored in an unheated porch, but didn't freeze. Some sprouted a little but did not seem rotten or dried out when I planted them. Now all the ones I planted early are starting to sprout--the daffodils are 4 or 5 inches tall and some of the crocuses are in bloom. None of the late-planted bulbs even have shoots. Do you think there is hope that they'll just be late bloomers, or are they a lost cause?
thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: late-planted bulbs

Odds are good that many to most will grow, as long as they weren't frozen before planting, and you said they weren't. They will be delayed, and when they grow, stems of tulips will be quite short. Many but not all may bloom. In future years, the species that live long term will all be fine, but may take a couple of seasons to build their strength to normal levels. Tulips, well, many kinds aren't very perennial for many people, often degenerating to just foliage after a year or two, but that depends on the variety and the conditions.

You should know if they're good just by digging around and looking at a few. If you see roots and shoots, no matter how small, they'll be fine.

o

• Posted by lalala 6 (Metro Boston) (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 0:11

Thanks, denninmi! Hope you're right. I'll try digging a few if I don't see any shoots soon.

o

• Posted by lalala 6 (Metro Boston) (My Page) on
    Tue, Mar 13, 12 at 16:48

You were right--they are starting to emerge! Several weeks later than the earlier-planted bulbs, but I see multiple shoots poking up. Hooray, and thanks for the encouragement.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here