Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Crocosmia hardiness? Zone?

Posted by linnea56 z5 IL (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 27, 09 at 17:25

I will be planting a new garden with "hot" colored flowers this year. I picked up some Crocosmia but have heard conflicting answers on Zone appropriateness. Variety name is not listed, so do I assume they must be Lucifer? Thats the most common one, right? Picture is red. I have never grown these. Site will be the south side of the house so it may be warmer than my normal zone 5.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Crocosmia hardiness? Zone?

Don't know how hardy they'll be in your neck of the woods, but if you have problems with them not coming back next year, give me a shout and I'll send you some corms. They multiply something fierce down here.

Brenda

o

Thanks for the offer, Brenda.Ill see first if I can grow them here with the ones I bought.

I checked on Daves garden and the facts for Lucifer (if thats what Ive got) say zone 6 a. Im zone 5 but dont know if Im a or b. Ive looked at maps and cant tell. (too bad you cant see that on Google Earth). I do hope they are hardy, as digging stuff up in fall never seems to happen. Its bad enough I buy dahlias every year.

About planting: When I look at pictures I see them always in stands of many stalks. Does that mean they will look their best all planted together? Have more impact that way?

Yet Daves Garden says to plant them 15-18 apart. Surely they are talking about a clump, not individual corms?

o

linnea
no worries about the zone.i live just north of montreal and they come back every year..although i only had a few flowers last year,they did return..and i clumped them together for more show...
cheers

o

I bought 'fire king' last yr from parks. It is too early to say if it survived or not.
They claim it's hardy to 5.

I got some from a Seattle garden that died rather than bloom after winter so some kinds of orange( unknown kind) aren't hardy.

I have also tried them bare bubl in the basement but they died that way too.

Hope to see some nice lily pics from your gardens this year!

o

Thanks! I remember your lilies too, cheerpeople! I planted some nice ones last fall so I am really looking forward to a great summer. And now I know how to post a picture right into a thread, too!

o

• Posted by jodik 5 Central IL (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 1, 09 at 9:24

If you're not sure about hardiness, you could always lift them in fall and store them over winter... or, you could plant them in a large, decorative patio pot and place the pot in the garden. Simply bring the pot in when it gets cold, and store it in the basement or frost-free garage.

You can literally cram the pot full of corms, shoulder to shoulder, and make it the focal point of a garden area.

I do this with a few different tender bulbs and corms. The pots make nice additions to the summer garden, and they bring the potted flowers into play as great colorful focal points.

o

Lifting in fall is not going to happen. Even when Ive done it (with dahlias, glads) they never made it over the winter. Also, theres too much other gardening work to do then. They were not too $$ (though I dont know really what is a good price) so I will plant them out and cross my fingers. And potted things I need to cut back on, the watering is taking too much time.

But I WAS wondering if there is a hardier strain I should be looking for.

Can anyone address the issue of planting the corms as cluster or spread out?

o

I lived in Kansas City, zone 5b, and had to grow them in big tubs (from Walmart) - otherwise, they freeze, never to return. They will not come back in your zone.

o

It mainly depends on the type of soil you have as to wether they survive the winter..... if they are really wet and then freeze they WILL rot. If the soil is well drained and you mulch them for the winter they usually survive. Mine have survived 15F winters with no problems.
Check out my website.

Here is a link that might be useful: My Website

o

'Lucifer' is generally recognized as being the hardiest at present, and is usually the one seen for sale in my area. I have tried several other varieties, and while they may survive 1-3 years, they have all died eventually. The only one that didn't is 'Lucifer'.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here