Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
williamlittig

Are my bulbs ever going to come up?

williamlittig
11 years ago

I planted lilies and Glads in late feb and live in GA. I mixed half soil\red clay and half Miracle grow. I planted them about 4-5 inches deep. There were two cold nights but i covered them with blankets. My next door neighbor planted in the fall and his are sprouting but I have got nothing. Should I dig some up and look? Am I toast?

Comments (6)

• katob Z6ish, NE Pa
    11 years ago

You might want to take a look but that risks shoveling through a bulb. Late feb is just a few weeks ago so you should still be fine and patience for another two weeks might be your best bet. Good luck

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

I don't know what kind of lilies you planted, but Glads are pretty much indestructible. Bulbs really take a few years to get going well, like perennials. Your neighbors' bulbs have had all winter to grow roots, so it's not surprising that yours are slower. Next year they will probably all start poking up at the same time, yours and your neighbors'.

• growsy
    11 years ago

My glads were planted (moved) in Dec. & I'm guessing about half of them are up so far. Some are just poking up now. I would just wait a bit if I were you.

On the other hand, I did dig around in my tulip bed. I bought 3 types of tulips at 75% clearance at Christmastime. Two of the types have sprouted well, but the biggest bag was a red type of which I've seen only about 4 or 5 sprout. When I went looking, those that I found had rotted. So, I'm going to dig through the rest of that area & clean it out so I can put in something else. The 2 other types of tulips were planted in the same bed with the same treatment on either side of the reds, so I know it was the bulbs & not something I did.

By the way, my glads were just bags from a box store. The first year they came up pretty well & most of them bloomed. This year, though, the stalks are a lot thicker (like twice as thick) & look fantastic, so they must like it even though I may have mistreated them by moving them around in December. I moved them then because I was digging compost & quail manure into the bed. We get a lot of coffee grounds & vegetable waste from a local coffee shop & we dig it right into the beds with some quail manure. Our soil is mostly sand, & the "compost" just disappears in short order, except for the stray eggshell or onion skin on the surface. We do get lots of volunteer veggies, though, but I keep those pulled.

Anyhow, I'm just learning, too. I hope that your glads surprise you soon!

• williamlittig
    Original Author
    11 years ago

that was really helpful and I will wait a while. I am a bit conceded that the issue maybe the soil. I live in georgia and we have some serious red cal. I did a bit of digging and did a fair job of mixing the clay with some good potting soil but below where I dug is still clay which will act like a water retaining clay pot. I did cheat and sug one up and it looks just like the day I put it in the ground. So, is the answer, "Plant your corn early?" You guys rock. I was not sure this site would work but that was great. i am off to answer three other posts to keep the ball rolling

• williamlittig
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yea!!!! well kind of yea. I had three spouts today. they look strong although one is purple ish. So now I just keep watering? What about putting coffie or whatever on top.
    The glads are the ones coming not the lillies yet but I now have hope. If you have any suggestions let me know

• Tiffany, purpleinopp Z8b Opp, AL
    11 years ago

Unless is gets dusty dry, I wouldn't water them a whole lot. If they are Asiatic lilies, like Stargazer, those are very late to come up, June. Last year I made a thread about it, thinking they were dead.

Sponsored
Jennifer Gilmer Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Team | 11x Best of Houzz