Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
squirrels also love crocus flowers: help!

Posted by rebaru z5 QC (My Page) on
Fri, Mar 26, 10 at 17:38

I use blood meal when I plant bulbs, and I don't know if it is that, but I haven't had much trouble with squirrels digging them up. But beginning last spring, and increasing this year, the crocus pop up, and i find the petals scattered all around - although not the cream beauty... Most of the others are purple - they seem to like that colour! They do this with tulips as well, just bite off the flower bud and leave it lying.... Does anyone have a trick to keep them away?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: squirrels also love crocus flowers: help!

Sprinkle blood meal over them. That works pretty well for me.
Those tree rats are maddening, really!

o

Rebaru,

We use blood meal also. Milorganite is another product that helps.
The best repellants have been Fox urine, available in small bottles and other similar nasty smelling concoctions.

One botanical garden used a gross spray of road kill in a dedicated blender. It was extremely effective.

A crocus that, for me, has been immune to animal predations is Crocus tommasinianus and its several varieties.
It might help to co-mingle the goodies with poisonous things like Galanthus nivalis, small Narcissus and Erianthus. It's a matter of trial and error on such things.

Now if I can just find a Beaver repellant for the Red Maples.

Mike519

o

Mike519 - what a lot of suggestions! the blood meal will be easiest to lay my hands on first. the hardest.... not sure! i wish i could help you with the beavers! thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here