Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
yvette_adams_gw

more on squirrels (or as DH calls them 'tree rats'!)

yvette_adams
14 years ago

I never gave this subject much thought till I moved to a rural area last year, and did my ritual bulb plant in the fall.

Day after day, the little fellas watched me from the trees and as soon as I retreated to my warm kitchen, dug up every single bulb I put down!

After the first day, when I saw what was happening, I asked a friend and was advised to cover the bulbs good with cayenne pepper.

It was definitely worst the following day! I think they thought I was seasoning the bulbs for them.

Then I heard about old human hair trick, but perhaps I did it wrong. Because on the third day, I tried that , raiding my family's hair brushes and even giving myself bangs to get a bit more hair. I laid the hair on top of where I had planted the bulbs, and patted it down with some damp soil. They considered this a personal invitation. A day or two later, most of the hair had blown away, and once again, my garden had been ravaged.

More than 40 rather expensive tulip bulbs were pinched, as well as 115 crocus bulbs (they left me 5!)

Now for next year, I am wondering if I should get tons of hair from the hairdresser, and perhaps plant it down deep around the bulbs. Does anyone know if that will work? I've also heard of a product called "Repel All". Does that work? And finally, my mother-in-law has a recipe that is a mix of Murphy's Oil soap, Tabasco, Cayenne pepper and water, that she has heard will work.

Also I have read here about chicken wire, but I don't really understand what should be done with it. Anybody know which, if any of these ideas is worth investing in?

Thanks in advance, to any one who replies....Yvette

Comments (5)

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus