Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joybee_gw

My bulbs are slow to come up

JoyBee
11 years ago

Hi, first time poster, my apologies for being long winded...

I live in Philadelphia and last November 6th I planted hundreds of bulbs in my front yard -- Daffodils, Tulips, Alium, Crocuses and Grape Hyacinth. I planted the bulbs in layers, in beds and used bone meal in the beds.

My yard does not get tons of sun, some morning, some late afternoon (more during the summer). I wasn't too concerned about the sun because my neighbor grows bulbs successfully and has the same amount of light. I put chicken wire down on top of the beds to deter the squirrels.

I would say the largest bulbs (daffodils) were planted at a depth of 9" - quite deep - but i was told to lean towards deeper then not deep enough. Unfortunately, I put a few inches of mulch down on the planted beds and did not account for it in the total planting depth. Realizing my mistake, I pulled most of the mulch back a few weeks ago.

It's now the end of March and for the last month the greens have been slowly emerging (they're all pretty stumpy) and so far i only have two crocuses with flowers. Bulbs in my neighborhood seem slow this year -- it's been pretty chilly -- but sunnier yards already have Crocus and Daffodils in full bloom. My husband is convinced I planted the bulbs too deep, but I just don't know.

If they are too deep, is it to late to pull them up closer to the surface? What can I do to try to fix the problem for next year? Perhaps it's something else entirely? Am I just being impatient?

I am so sad that I've messed this up! So far I have had plenty of luck with perennials and vegetables but I'm losing hope for my bulb beds :( Any thought/advice is appreciated!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH