Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Daffodil leaves look browned!

Posted by kentstar 5b, NE Ohio (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 27, 10 at 18:09

A lot of my daffs are starting to show up, at least their leaves have. But, the ends of the leaves look all brown! Maybe frost burn? I should say that only the mini daffs are doing this. I have planted Baby Moons, Rip Van Winkles, Baby Boomers, and Minnows. The larger daffs are not doing it. I'm not sure what is causing that. They bloomed lovely last year without a problem. I don't get it.
Any ideas? I'll post a pic later when I can get outside. (I worked all day and I am bushed lol)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Daffodil leaves look browned!

Year, frost burn.
Some of mine are like that too, but the buds are fine.
Miniatures other than tete-a-tete didn't live long in my garden. I might have over-watered them.

o

They certainly do not like over watering especially in summer.

I love Rip Van Winkle but it rains so much in spring here the double flowers trap the rain and sink to the ground. They look so sad. :(

Baby Moon is adorable and smells great too if I remember correctly.

o

It's been an interesting year for daffodils. Like none I have ever known. My Grand Primo Tazettas bloomed the last week after Christmas last year. This year, they came up on schedule and the leaves burned silvery white in our early cold snap. I was fearful I had lost them. But they are in full bloom RIGHT NOW. Grand Soleil D'Or, also a tazetta, appears to have a virus. For the last two years, the leaves have been mottled brown right from their appearance and almost none have bloomed. I am going to dig them up and discard. On the other hand, although many of my daffodils were late in blooming, they have been the loveliest I ever remember. Maybe they liked the cold?

I wondered if your smaller ones were only marginally hardy for your zone. But I checked and they are not. You haven't, by any chance, had a zone 4 winter this year? I'd advise you to wait and see what they do, both this year and next year before making a final decision.

o

I sure felt like we had a zone 4 winter! lol
They are on the north side of the house, which could make a difference too. But, my trumpet daffs do great over on the north side. I'll wait and see what happens. I just planted them last fall, so I don't want to dig up yet.
Thanks all for your help! :)

Here's a pic of my Baby Boomers from last spring. They are awesome and FRAGRANT too!

Baby Boomer Daffodils

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here