Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
riley1739

is it too late for winter aconite?

riley17
15 years ago

Hello, I planted winter aconite this past fall and the package said they would come up in January or February. However, I still dont see little green shoots or anything poking up through the ground and its March.... Should I keep waiting or do you think they wont grow? The little snowdrops I planted with them havent come up yet either, but I think maybe its still too early for them?

Comments (7)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

In your zone,it might be a little early for them. I think too that newly planted things from the previous fall are sometimes a little later to emerge their first spring. I would not give up hope on them yet. Has the ground been thawed there for very long?

Sue

• riley17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm not sure, I dont think so. Its maybe been thawed for about two weeks. I didnt think about that, lol. Of course the ground cant be frozen for them to come up in, I guess I hit the panic button a little too early. I'm really excited about seeing them though, so I hope they eventually come up.

• stimpy926
    15 years ago

Galanthus bulbs don't store very well, don't be too surprised if you get a scant showing. They're better purchased 'in the green'.

But, the good news is they naturalize, so if you do get a few, they will get it going.

• greenmulberry
    15 years ago

I have a well established patch, been here longer than I have owned the house, and it hasn't come up this year yet. We are in the same zone, so don't worry just yet.

• ladychroe
    15 years ago

They still have some time, give them another few weeks.

Where and when did you purchase them? Eranthus has a short shelf life, and if they are not planted promptly, they die. I ordered from a reputable dealer (B&B), planted immediately and I still had only about 50% come up last spring. The ones that did make it multiplied and look gorgeous this year, by the way. Definitely try again this fall if this batch didn't make it - they are so worth it.

• hagey
    15 years ago

Today as I looked out of the kitchen window, I saw bright yellow areas in the back yard. I went out to see what it was, and I have about a dozen clumps blooming. They are not as tall as they were last year yet but really look nice.
    I live in zone 5, and they are always the first to bloom in the spring. We have had a lot of snow cover this winter, and really have not had too many days above freezing.
    I hope you find them coming up soon.

• riley17
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I think I found one!!! I'm not sure what it is though, so it could be any of the hundred + bulbs I planted this spring. lol. I got them from van borgondien, or however you spell it. I planted them right away too, so I'm hoping I get some. I cant tell whats what when its coming up until they flower and then I'll know what these things are that are coming up. I planted some aconite, snowdrops, tulips, daffodils, and siberian squill, english blue bells, uh I had a mental block and forgot the name but its those things that are related to onions, and soem other kinds too. I cant remember where I planted what so I have to wait to see what it all is lol. At least I'll have a nice surprise this spring when everything (hopefully) comes up! Thanks for responding!