Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
summerstar_gw

Some of my Daffs aren't blooming!

summerstar
12 years ago

I planted a good number of different varieties of Daffodils in clumps of six throughout my front garden beds. The oldest of these are Dutch Master, planted about seven years ago. I've never divided them and this is the first year they have no flower stems . . . lots of leaves, but no buds. Here in Zone 7 they should be blooming now.

I've fertilized them with Espoma's Bulbtone, but haven't done this every year. Their location is full sun and half-day sun, so I'm not sure what's wrong. They look healthy. What do you think is wrong? Do you think they need to be divided?

Comments (10)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    12 years ago

Six bulbs planted 7 years ago...
    What do you think is wrong? Do you think they need to be divided?
    Yes, that is most likely the problem, assuming that the foliage had been left to die off naturally last spring.

The more bulbs planted in each hole/clump, the sooner they may require digging and dividing. 'Some' bulbs are less prolific though and might be fine left that long. Planting them 'deep' also discourages them from multiplying so quickly.

Sue

• summerstar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're probably right that they need dividing. Dutch Master is a huge bulb to start with and would probably crowd easier because of their size. I only have three groups of these to divide thank heavens.

I just took a look around at all the clumps. Some of the newer groups DO have some buds just starting to appear. Lots of areas around the country have had unusual temps. In central VA we've had a warm winter and then cold temps would hit again. Maybe all this confused the bud growth. Usually our spring temps are more even than this.

Noticed where you're located. Did you do okay with those storms that blew through your area? Heard Marysville was "gone". Scarey!! Did all the people evacuate that town? Hope all was okay where you are. And thanks, I appreciated your Daffodil opinion.

• pizzuti
    12 years ago

How long are the leaves? Leaf cells are triggered to elongate by slightly different conditions from the flower stem. I don't quite know the difference, but I've found that sometimes the leaves can actually get quite long before you see your buds peeking out - usually after unusual conditions like a newly-planted bulb, or an exceptionally warm winter.

I've noticed that leaves and buds emerge simultaneously from the bulbs on the North side of the house, where the ground is frozen all winter. On the South side where it's warmer, the leaves sometimes come out a few inches ahead.

I've also found that daffodils can skip a season the year after an unusually dry spring, and they'll just grow leaves as they regenerate for a year and bloom the following year.

• summerstar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Interesting info pizzuiti. I'll have take notice of those observations you mentioned and see if they work in my garden. Fortunately some buds are starting on different varieties. The oldest clumps of Dutch Master still don't have buds; I've stopped hoping. It's probably due to their age and not being divided yet, so I'll be buying markers soon.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Do they come up every Spring but still don't bloom or they just never show up? I planted 90 daffs about 2 or 3 years ago and I think the squirrels and chipmunks dug a lot of them up before I realized that not that many didn't pop up the next Spring.

There are so many varities of daffs now and they all flower at different times..so I want to add more but will take into consideration more when their blooming time is when I order the new bulbs or buy locally.

I think mine are Dutch Masters or King Alfred. Plantes some Tete a Tete last Fall and they are just popping through the soil now. I planted them into two of my patio planters, a first time for that to see if it will work.

Now when their foliage has died back, can I dig them up and store them in a net bag in the garage until next Fall and replant them again?

• summerstar
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pippi21,

You don't have to dig them up. They're not like gladiolus. Just leave them in the ground and they'll come up again next spring and bloom again. No need to dig and replant them. The bulbs of a daffodil, its flowers, and its foliage are toxic to animals and usually voles, moles, squirrels, and deer will not eat them. If they do, they'll get a BIG stomach ache. Animals usually know to leave them alone.

The flowers will fade and drop off, but the leaves will remain to provide nutrients to feed the bulb. The bulbs will colonize, growing additional bulbs and your daffodil groups will multiply, creating larger daffodil patches as the years go by.

When you buy them, look for good "naturalizing" daffodils. Usually the seller will put this in the variety's description. I have Dutch Masters like you do, but they don't "naturalize" or "colonize" as good as others. I like Dutch Master because the flower is so beautiful. Dutch Master does like to be divided as it's a large bulb and when crowded will stop blooming like mine did this spring.

If you have trouble with animals digging up bulbs, stay away from tulips which varmits love! Try Brent & Becky's catalog or website. Their prices are good, have a great customer service department, are very customer friendly, and ship bulbs of good quality, satisfaction guaranteed.

I don't know what happened that so many of your daffodils didn't come up. Daffodils usually don't get eaten. Make sure you plant at the right time of year and read the directions for your zone.

Good luck.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

I have grown daffs for years but for the past few years the darn squirrels and chipmunks must be watching me when I plant them..as soon as you go inside, they start digging. I made some bulb cages this year and will never do it again. It is hard work. I'm going to buy a large container or cayenne pepper at Costco when I'm there the next time. I also have Ropel for small animals. That was recommended to me by a gardening coach in a consultaion in 2009. I think I mentioned that I planted some mini daffs in two of my patio containers in the Fall and they have just popped through the soil. Wondering if they will bloom this year? Should because they were planted like in Nov. I think without looking at my records. I was toying with direct sowing some annual seeds in same container. Should I wait till the foliage dies back before I sow the annual seeds?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

{{gwi:9072}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
    My daffodils multiply so fast I can't give them away fast enough. After I tired of potting them, the small ones left I threw out into the woods about three months ago. Here they are now. I don't know of anything that will eat them, although a squirrel may dig them up for a look. Al

• jason83
    12 years ago

It's nice to see daffodils blooming in zone 9. What variety are these?

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    12 years ago

These are king Alfred that are happy to naturalize here. I have to dig them up because they migrate into garden beds I like to use for summer plantings. We have no summer rain but the garden beds are well watered, the daffodils sleep right through it and come up multiplied, in the late winter. Al

Sponsored
Innovative & Creative General Contractors Servicing Franklin County