Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kris2001

'Preen' and new bulbs/tubers

kris2001
15 years ago

Does Preen prevent /affect newly planted tulip bulbs & caladium tubers?

Any precautions i need to take?

Tks...Kris in se pa

Comments (11)

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

It has no effect on bulbs or any existing plants (even weeds for that matter). It is only effective on seeds and interrupts the germination process by preventing the development of a root system.

• kris2001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

But I typed 'caladium' in here
    http://www.preen.com/products/preen-garden-weed-preventer

and it says:
    Preen Garden Weed Preventer is not recommended for use with caladium.

I wonder why?? I am worried. Should I use preen before I plant caladium tubers ?

• kris2001
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Not sure if it will make a big diff potting the caladium since I have to keep in the basement which is always cool...How many tubers can I put in a 12 "pot? I have 50 tubers!

Yep I think mulch is safer. Will any type of mulch prevent weeds?

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

From this site:...for starting them inside...
    Caladiums require a warm, moist soil. A minimum soil temperature of 70 F is preferred. If planted too early in the spring, cool soil temperatures will cause tubers to rot before they sprout. Some gardeners prefer to start tubers indoors in moist peat moss or potting soil in containers such as a shallow flat or flower pot. Barely cover tubers with soil and place the container in a warm room with bright light. Tubers should be started indoors approximately four weeks before planting outdoors.

According to this site our plant out date would be 'about' June 1st.

How many tubers can I put in a 12 "pot? I have 50 tubers!
    Better yet, could you maybe start them in a big shallow pan, like an aluminum roaster, or a kitty litter pan? Could you set them outside on warm days, and set them inside at night?

Will any type of mulch prevent weeds?
    Yes. I use and prefer shredded bark mulch as I can buy it reasonably priced locally by the pick-up truck load.

btw...you can add your location to your member profile so it will be shown automatically whenever you post...just as I am zone 5/6 S IN
    The location goes in the one box allowed for the garden zone and you can update your Personal Information Page via the Member Pages link at the bottom of any GW page.

Your SE PA (zone 6A) location might be different (later) than my S IN (zone 6a) location.

hth

Sue

• npublici
    15 years ago

Those of us who hybridize and manipulate genes in plants often use surflan or oryzalin to double chromosomes. If either are in preen,then many plants are affected adversly.
    Del

15 years ago

hhhmmm...I just did a search on Preen ingredients and see the only ingredient in the Organic Preen is corn gluten.

I'll check my 'regular' old Preen container to see what the ingredients are in it.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Organic Preen Vegetable Garden Weed Preventer

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    15 years ago

When kris first posted this, I did some searching of Preen labels and nowhere could I find where it stated it was not recommended for use with caladiums. So go figure!!

The active ingredient in Preen (the non-organic forumla) is trifluralin. This will have no effect on bulb growth. If you have any concerns, I'd start the caladiums in containers. In fact, I'd start them in containers anyway as container soil warms faster and you will start to encourage growth much earlier than if you planted the tubers directly in the ground. And just sinking the potted containers into your planting area - rather than planting the started tubers directly - will make it much easier when the time comes to lift them for storage in early fall.

Sue, if you wish to use the organic (CGM) formulation, don't buy Preen - you are paying a premium for it sold under that label. Just visit any feed store and you can obtain large sacks of corn gluten meal for a very low price. It is commonly used as an animal feed and is the same exact stuff as in the Preen container.

15 years ago

Sue, if you wish to use the organic (CGM) formulation, don't buy Preen - you are paying a premium for it sold under that label. Just visit any feed store and you can obtain large sacks of corn gluten meal for a very low price. It is commonly used as an animal feed and is the same exact stuff as in the Preen container.
    Trust me when I say I buy very little name brand stuff, when there is usually a store brand or a generic version of about everything out there.

Thanks! I was wondering if it might be available in big bulk quantities somewhere. I think I read somewhere that someone bought the corn meal at a supermarket, but thought that too was certainly an expensive way to buy it. Now I know! I'm gonna let my fingers do the walkin' through the Yellow Pages later today and see where I can find it at the absolutely best price.

Sue

• txmom
    14 years ago

I also put in a few plants on the PREEN website. Everything I put in - it said it was not recommended for use with that plant.
    i.e. crape myrtles, nandina, ligustrum.
    Said it was OK for periwinkles...
    Kinda scared me off it

• sperritt
    11 years ago

Has anyone actually used Preen around their caladiums, if so was there any harm to the plants?

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022