Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
stanc_gw

What bulbs to buy with the home depot coupon

stanc
15 years ago

I can drive to about 5 different Home Depots if I wanted to to get bulbs.

My question is what might be good choices or odd bulbs.

I have more cannas then I need stored now and more elephant ears then I need now, so I want to try something new(no Iris I have lots).

Will the peonys have flowers this year,what about the Peruvian daffodil?

Done dahails.

Looking for a thrre season effect with roses and perenials.

Stanc

Comments (7)

• Chemocurl zn5b/6a Indiana
    15 years ago

The peonies will not flower this season, but will likely have a bloom or two next season. It takes them a while to get established, but will then be fine undisturbed for many years.

what about the Peruvian daffodil? . They are not hardy in your area, or mine, so they would either have to be planted in containers and brought in for the winter, or else dug and stored much like cannas and dahlias.

Sue

• MissMyGardens
    15 years ago

I got a pack of Crocosmia for Hummingbirds, hopefully.

Some crocosmia varieties are hardy to zone 4.

I'm planning on starting crocosmia bulbs indoors under lights in April to foster possible bloom this year. We'll see how it works out. First time with summer bulbs.

The package I got was only labeled as "Red" but they should be fine here in zone 6. Picture on package looks closest to Emberglow. Don't know if HD out by you carries named varieties or just generic color identifications for these Holland imports.

Don't know if you're going to pot or plant inground so that will impact variety choice, i.e. either overwinter pots/bulbs/tubers indoors or can leave in ground.

I had Acidanthera (Peacock Orchid/Abyssinian Glad... Gladiolus callianthus) last year and they were lovely towards late Summer right through frost. Not the length of bloom time you're looking for but they're lovely as arching accents. Not hardy in either of our zones but I got a package anyway since I liked them so much last year. Ones I dug and stored last year got soft out in unheated garage so guess if I want to overwinter them successfully I'd have to use basement.

If I didn't have so much deer decimation I'd have gotten some of the Dahlias. They had varying heights and flower forms. Also saw Anemone mixes and double Tuberose.

Good luck finding what you want.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some Crocosmia Zone hardiness info.

• calistoga_al ca 15 usda 9
    15 years ago

I choose the Acidenthera(Gladiolus callienthus). I have grown them before and these were certainly minimum quality. If they bloom this year I will be surprised. They are the same as other gladiolus in culture except they take much longer than the 90 days to bloom of most gladiolus. I also chose Tigretia ot tiger lily,a native of Mexico, a very colorful flower I have not grown in many years. Both of these I planted in large pots to allow them to moved around during the season. Each bulb is only given about two inches clearance and they will probably need support. Al

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

You get coupons in your area? ThatÂs nice. Never see them here. HD is on my shopping list for today, need to go see what dahlias they have. I start those indoors soon.

I grew the Peruvian daffodils once. Interesting and exotic form, but each bulb had only 1 or 2 flowers. That might be fine is early spring when you are glad to see anything, but not later. It bloomed mid-season, when there were a lot of other things going on that last longer. Mine were white and did not stand out much. I had planned to dig them up, but took a trip at the wrong time and that did not happen. I understand (from reading here) that they produce a lot of offsets which means if you do dig them you will have a lot for the next year. I think they would be more effective in mass, and/or planting them at staggered intervals to extend blooming. I plan to try them again if they are cheap enough.

• pbishop
    15 years ago

linnea56:

you have to join the HD Garden Club to get the coupons. Go online to join and they will email them to you every month.

• scully931
    15 years ago

By the way - when I asked my HD store if they accepted online coupons they said 'no.' But the clerk saw them and said, 'Oh, we accept the garden ones. Those are the only ones we take.' FYI.

I got tons o' canna with mine! :-) Starting a tropical garden this year.

• linnea56 (zone 5b Chicago)
    15 years ago

Thanks for the tip about the HD Garden Club. I didn't know there was one! They don't send you a lot of advertising, do they? I signed up with JoAnn for coupons and every week there is some ad, but only rarely a coupon!

Sponsored
KA Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Industry Leading General Contractors in Columbus