Return to the Bulbs Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flopping Hyacinths

Posted by ghoghunter Zone6b SE PA (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 24, 12 at 19:01

My son planted hyacinths last Fall for the first time. They all came up and bloomed but then the flowers all flopped over. He is asking me what caused this and I was thinking maybe too much water??? I was not sure what to tell him. It is his very first gardening experience too. We live in the suburbs of Philly..zone 7 I guess.
Joann

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flopping Hyacinths

A picture would really help. Do you mean they flopped when the flowers were still in full bloom or after they faded?

I doubt it's too much water if they are outdoors. You could check the stems and see if something has taken a bite out. Another possibility is heat. Has it been hot there?

o

It has been warmer here than usual..up in the 70's although today we are cool again..in the 40's. I'll ask him to check for insect damage.
Joann

o

Sometimes hyacinths just flop. The blooms are heavier than the stem can support and they flop over. Sometimes growers will use a small stake through the bloom and down into the pot, but most of the time this goes through the bulb too which I wouldn't think is the best thing.

Unless your soil is really rich the bloom head should be smaller next year and more likely to stay upright.

o

The ones that flopped were all the pale blue ones. The dark blue ones stayed upright! So I guess it is just that the flower heads were too large for the stems. Hopefully next year it won't happen again.
Joann

o

Mine always flop

o

I have flopping and unflopping ones. Seems like the ones that flop are usually amid tulip leaves or other plants that make the hyacinths reach higher to make a break out of the cover, They are still beautiful, though.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bulbs Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here